• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rev. Jonas Clarke Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is another newly finished horn. This is "The Reverand Jonas Clarke horn". Reverand Jonas Clarke is reported to have said on Lexington Green, "We recognize no sovereign but GOD and no King but Jesus". I liked that so much that I wanted to put it on a horn, although I did paraphrase it somewhat. Now what to do with the rest of the horn?? I scrimmed a GOD figure and then decided that this horn might as well be the Reverand Jonas Clarke's personal horn and made the inscription to commemorate the actual fight on Lexington Green between the Minutemen and the British by dating it the day of the original confrontation and "The Shot Heard Around The World". It is a small horn being only about 10 inches long. It has a brown dyed bottleneck spout and some decorative carving on the walnut buttplug.

Randy Hedden

god1.jpg

god2.jpg

god3.jpg

god4.jpg

god5.jpg

god6.jpg

god7.jpg

god8.jpg

god9.jpg

Very, very nice! I love the carving on the buttplug. How do you get your color on the horn? Last one I used Rit to get the yellow/ orange. Is there other ways to get that type of color?

Goldhunter said:
Very, very nice! I love the carving on the buttplug. How do you get your color on the horn? Last one I used Rit to get the yellow/ orange. Is there other ways to get that type of color?

Goldhunter,

I use several different methods to color horns. I make a lot of horns and if I put them on display somewhere I don't want them all looking the same color. This one is dyed using Rit dye, but I don't know exactly what mixture of colors I used. If I remember right this one has no orange in it, but possibly some brown. I don't shoot for one particular color as a guy would if dyeing his one and only horn. I just go for different colors.

I save all my dye mixtures in gallon bottles and reuse them many times before they are discarded so it is hard telling exactly what I used on this particular horn.

Do some experimenting with different colors and mixtures of the Rit dyes. You can even dye the horn in one color and over dye the horn in another color.

Randy Hedden

Harddog, another great horn and an inspiring story...sometimes, I think what it must have been like to be an ordinary farmer and assemble to face the finest army in the world, coming against you under the authority of your lawful government...I guess preachers like this put the steel in some spines..Hank

I admire the detail and I can sympathize with the immense amount of effort put into a horn of this quality. A hearty well done! Horns like these are a good inspiration to the rest of us. Thanks for the post.

Ron

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really like to see the pictures of the horns others make and appreciate the opportunity to post pictures of my horns.

Randy Hedden

Back