• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil de chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rich pierce said:
No slam intended and I think you'll get more input if you post on the smooth bore forum.

Hi Rich,
Didnt think you were trying to slam me. :thumbsup:
You guys are really knowledgeable in these areas.
And teaching me a lot.
I appreciate all the help you guys give me.
:hatsoff:

Okwaho, you beat me to it. The R E Davis kit looks pretty good (at least in the catalog), with the additional BIG plus of the long 48" barrel. :winking:

Chris,I took one of my old fusils fin{the one with the missing lock and forestock}down to Toulousse to compare with a kit from Davis.My old gun has the rib on top and a 44" barrel.The two guns were laid out together and they were practically two peas in a pod.The side plates and guards were close but not identical and my gun is missing the butt piece.My gun dates to about 1720-30 and the profiles were virtually the same except that the kit had too much wood,a common fault with these French and other kits.I really like the R E Davis fusil fin kit {not the Type D}.
Tom Patton

I agree I have an India made 1717 and aside from reworking the lock I like it even though I'm not crazy about the sparking,But i'm gonna get some kasinite and redo it,I had to do this with an American built lock too..Mark

You might take a look at John Donelson's site. he reworks the TOTW kits to more closely follow the originals. The lock in the kit has to be lengthened and the cock reshaped...it's an extra charge if you want the "right" look to the TOTW kit.
[url] http://www.donelsoncustommuzzleloaders.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
He does do some nice work Wes but the quote below just blows the whole site for me..... it really only helps to perpetuate one of the primary myths about these guns.

" This example would be considered a Fusil Fin since it has very fancy curly Maple wood and raised carving."

There was more of the same but I just quit with that quote lest I sicken.
Tom Patton

IM000040-2.jpg
if you compare it side by side with an original, you'll bust out laughing. They are cartoon carichtures of the real thing.

You mean , like this ?
On top the exhibit in a museum ( that I will not name )
under , over the plexiglass plate , a India made gun
Military model ,

He'll build you what you ask for. He doesn't build ahead and every gun is to customer specs. You ask for maple - he'll do maple. Might ask you if you're sure, but you call the shots.

If you got that far down the page you went past my rifle (the cherry stocked iron mounted Lehigh - which I twisted his arm to create).

IM000846.jpg

John's a good man and a friend (and the alarming resemblence to Stephen King is merely coincedental :haha: ).

JDinshop.jpg

:haha:

Hey,chicken man,I damn near did.It is a truly magnificent piece and the ambience is awesome. To quote Wes and Earl,you can close your eyes and smell the Rebel campfires.

Henry said:
IM000040-2.jpg
if you compare it side by side with an original, you'll bust out laughing. They are cartoon carichtures of the real thing.

You mean , like this ?
On top the exhibit in a museum ( that I will not name )
under , over the plexiglass plate , a India made gun
Military model ,

I imagine thats what he meant. Still looks like they had a washed out enlarged photocopy. :v

Mike Brooks said:
UUUMMMM, looks like gun made for Mongo. Mongo like India made gun. :haha:

Mongo also must have a small trigger finger :hmm:
gun.jpg

UUMMMM , Mongo use string to pull trigger, Sheriff Bart say no trust India made barrel. :rotf:

Hey, Okwaho, any heart problems? Did you get any sleep the other night? :winking:

"There was more of the same but I just quit with that quote lest I sicken."

Yeah Tom....thought for a moment there was a gem stone lying with that site, but it turned out to be just a plain old pearl...a cast one no doubt (VBG)

Back