• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dropped by Bookies Shop tonight!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim-Iowa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Twas a learning experience.
Last time I was over he was rifling a barrel, even did his best Tom Sawyer impression and let me take a mess of strokes on the rifling bench.

Tonight, he was turning a new drum for the rifling bench.
If you get a chance to drop in it's always a good time and your likely to learn something in the process.

Jim-Iowa said:
even did his best Tom Sawyer impression and let me take a mess of strokes on the rifling bench...

That's the reason I wouldn't go.... afraid of him putting me to work! :rotf:

Naw I'd love to go hang out in Bookie's or Roy's shop for a day.

Bookie's place is definately worth a visit if yer passing thru Iowa. Ya just gotta remember to not stand too close to his tobacco chaw spit can. I think he uses the juice for stock stain. :rotf:
Bill

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Bookie's place is definately worth a visit if yer passing thru Iowa. Ya just gotta remember to not stand too close to his tobacco chaw spit can. I think he uses the juice for stock stain. :rotf:
Bill

Now that is an interesting thoght. I wonder how well tabacco would work as a stain? :hmm:

I don't know if he uses it or not.
However, some time back there was a guy on this site that posted pictures of a .32(I Think )Flinter he said was stained with Tobacco in Denatured alcohol. Looked great too.
I did a search on natural stains in Google.
They listed Tobbacco, but it used water and ammonia as the carrier.
It might be worth some experimenting? :)
Found that thread see for yourself.[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...18/post/283667/hl/tobbacco+stain/#283667[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Slowpoke said:
Jim-Iowa said:
even did his best Tom Sawyer impression and let me take a mess of strokes on the rifling bench...

That's the reason I wouldn't go.... afraid of him putting me to work! :rotf:

Naw I'd love to go hang out in Bookie's or Roy's shop for a day.

thanks and you can visit any time you want, but we'd probably learn more if we went out to Bookie's :v

Bill, yes, I do use the stuff for stain once in a blue moon. I have my great uncle's recipe from 1910 that he wrote out and I found in some junk the family was throwing away. I think the paper used was an old Beechnut label or something or other.
I'd really like to try some betel nut that I saw some of the "ladies" chewing when I was attending the University of South Viet Nam about 30 years ago. Sure turned their teeth black! :shocked2: Bookie

There is an old family recipe in the back of Bookie's "Notes From A Small Iowa Rifle Shop" that was passed down to him. It is made with tobacco and either ammonia or urine, whichever you happen to have. :rotf: I just got both of his books and highly recommend both of them. :thumbsup:

shantheman said:
There is an old family recipe in the back of Bookie's "Notes From A Small Iowa Rifle Shop" that was passed down to him. It is made with tobacco and either ammonia or urine, whichever you happen to have. :rotf: I just got both of his books and highly recommend both of them. :thumbsup:

Where would one find such books?

You can get the books through Track of The Wolf, Log Cabin, or straight from the man hisself. I got mine from his website www.midiowa.com/toadhallrifleshop/ check it out.

shantheman said:
You can get the books through Track of The Wolf, Log Cabin, or straight from the man hisself. I got mine from his website www.midiowa.com/toadhallrifleshop/ check it out.

Thank you kind sir! :hatsoff:

I've spent a goodly amount of time this morning looking over Bookie's website, and I must say that it is one of the more entertaining and informative sites that I've read.
However”¦As a relative novice with all things blackpowder, can someone explain to me (Bookie?) the Iowa/Missouri half-stock rifles? Being a native Missourian, this is intriguing to me.

Stained my first rifle with tobacco/ammonia stain back in 1973. Worked fine, Jerry Kirklin showed me how to make it. That was his primary stain back then. Bookie, planning on being at my Daughters for Thanksgiving in Pleasantville, and plan on visiting again if yer around.
Bill

Bookie,
I bought your book on the rifling machine at Friendship during the Spring shoot. Don't think I'm ready for it yet - maybe this winter.
Regards,
Pletch
Indiana

Steve....ah, a name after my own heart! Steve. If you ain't Steve, you ain't sh--!! :yakyak: The missouri/Iowa halfstocks were rifles my family made up in the NE corner of the Show Me state. Since I live in modern times and in Iowa to boot, I modified the old patterns (have Grandpa's last known stock)to accept modern locks and call them as you read. Cheers, Bookie

Bookie said:
Steve....ah, a name after my own heart! Steve. If you ain't Steve, you ain't sh--!! :yakyak: The missouri/Iowa halfstocks were rifles my family made up in the NE corner of the Show Me state. Since I live in modern times and in Iowa to boot, I modified the old patterns (have Grandpa's last known stock)to accept modern locks and call them as you read. Cheers, Bookie

Thanks Bookie!...After re-checking your website, the information on the halfstocks was right there. I may have to make a pilgrimage North, and visit your shop. Been about 20 years since I felt the blast of a Forge! :hatsoff:

Back