• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rupert shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whahs the deal on rubert shot? I heard about it more or less by accident. How is it made? Can youi make it at home? I understand that it was the standard type of shot in colonial America.

Check out T.M. Hamilton's "Colonial Frontier Guns"
There is a chapter at the back of the book that covers the shot used including Rupert shot.

Regards, Dave

That is what another article said, they put that "plate" over a bucket of water and poured the hot lead in the depression where it ran thru and formed perfectly round shots as they dropped into the water below.

I dont know, I havent used one. My grandpa used a cast iron ladle that had little holes in it to make goose shot, but I didnt see him do it.

Bill

In order for the pellets to come out perfectly round, you need a much longer drop (shot tower). My understanding is that if you use the perforated plate over a bucket, you will get shot that is more tear-drop shaped or elongated. However that said, I have not made shot.

Black Hand said:
...My understanding is that if you use the perforated plate over a bucket, you will get shot that is more tear-drop shaped or elongated.

Isn't that what swan shot is?
Cruzatte

Cruzatte said:
Black Hand said:
...My understanding is that if you use the perforated plate over a bucket, you will get shot that is more tear-drop shaped or elongated.

Isn't that what swan shot is?
Cruzatte

Swan shot is just a moulded round ball of around .15 diameter. Drip shot is the stuff with a tail.

I don't know anything about shot but I thought they used the shot tower to "round out" the drops as they fell. They were then shifted for size and rolled between two metal plates to further round them.
There is a Mountain Man and the Fur Trade website that shows swan shot that looks like elongated pelltets- what exactly was swan shot and why was it used?

Swan shot was a round ball size of shot that was the proper size for hunting swans. Drip shot was made in primitive situations where a shot tower wasn't available by just dripping lead from a ladle into a bucket of water. They also used cube shot where a thin sheet of lead was cut into cubes and use for shot.

Here is one I made for a friend, we have played with it a bit but I still think there is a bit of a learning curve. I had a lot of waste, but did have some useable shot.
Jeff
shotmaker.jpg

Rupert shot is indeed made by pouring lead fluxed with arsenic into a collander like pan full of charcoal, the original method. Problem is that without the arsenic flux the lead runs out like lead spaghetti. Not sure how safe fluxing with arsenic actually is but don't think I want to try it. One guy used silver solder for demos he gives at events. The stuff is reheated inot bars for the next demo since it's too light to use and too expensive to make a lot of.

Latest posts

Back