• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand new to BP with 1858 New Army Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stelliott80

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Pietta 1858 New Model Army and don't have much experience with BP firearms. Could anyone recommend a powder/weight to use with the RB (for .44 caliber). I have some 3f and 4f goex and also some Pyrodex 3f equivalent on hand. Thanks a million.

22gr-28gr of BP fffg, or equivlent, is a good and accurate range. Will hold 35gr-40gr and fire safely, but not recommended as a steady diet. If you have a Pietta 1858 you find that .451" balls fit well with the .446-.448"chambers. If you have a Uberti .454"or .457" fit well as the chambers are .450" dia. Use a lube pill(grease cookie) or wool wad between powder and ball.
Hope this helps.

also, most manufactures recommend #10 caps for Cap and ball revolvers. I have had better luck with #11's in my 1858 Army. But try each to see which works best.

I usually shoot 20-25 grs, .451 Rb. I alternate my chambers like so; one chamber loaded powder-ball-crisco or similiar lube. Next chamber is powder-felt wad (wonder wads)-ball. For me, I like this combo the best. The load with the lube lubes up everything, including fouling and the next one with the wad kind of cleans the barrel out some (or at least it seems that way :hmm: )
Just how I do it.
Have fun experimenting.

First off, don't worry about overloading it. The chamber can only hold so much powder and still have room for a ball. The most important thing to look for is the gun's sweet spot. What load does it prefer. My Uberti likes 20-22 gr FFFG, with a wad under the ball. I use .454 balls but the Uberti chambers are a little larger. You might try .451 and a wad. Wads seem to be a little more accurate, and a lot less messy.

Latest posts

Back