• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This should be fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptleo1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
He showed up at the feeder 2 days ago.

hog2.jpg

Looks like a fair match for a .54 PRB.

Time will tell.

captleo,
A .54 will serve you well. Can you take him anytime or do you have to wait for the season.
I've learned here at the MLF that in some states
they are considered vermain and can be taken
anytime with about anything...How about Fla.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Hogs and deer don't cohabitate...if it was me, I'd put a ball at the base of his ear first chance I had...or relocate the deer stand

Kill it now! TODAY!!

Nothing in the woods is in more competition with deer and especially Turkey than a dang**#@ hog :cursing:.

I figure he will go 400 lbs or more.
My crystal ball says he will expire NOV 15
Thats first chance I will have to visit with him.

I agree that hogs and deer don't get along -BUT-
This little guy was at the same feeder same night.

buck.jpg

I believe he will be my second shot.

A friend in Paris Texas has been wantin me to go down there and hunt hogs with him for the past 10 years but I havent been able to go yet.How tough are they to kill?I would use my 54 cal.if I go.

cptleo said:
I figure he will go 400 lbs or more.
My crystal ball says he will expire NOV 15
Thats first chance I will have to visit with him.

I agree that hogs and deer don't get along -BUT-
This little guy was at the same feeder same night.

buck.jpg

I believe he will be my second shot.

I'd let him grow up a bit first. :winking:

If you want that hog you better shoot him first chance you get. Hogs are smarter than deer. The first time he smells live human scent at that feeder/corn pile will be the last time you see him.
They know the difference between live scent (a scent trail with you at the end of it) and old scent (scent where you carried the corn in).

CROWHOP said:
A friend in Paris Texas has been wantin me to go down there and hunt hogs with him for the past 10 years but I havent been able to go yet.How tough are they to kill?I would use my 54 cal.if I go.

Hogs are quite easy to kill. Your .54 will be more than enough. Some folks here hunt them with a .22LR but that's way too light in my opinion.

Thanks plink.Ive heard stories of hogs runnin people up trees and fence posts :shocked2: Sounds like pretty scary critters.

One of my uncles killed a pig 15 years ago with a bow. He had to shoot the damn thing three or four times and was run up a tree twice. Make that thing bacon as quick as possible.

LR shooter

Wow Big Boy! Never hunted Hogs ... but one thing I heard was that if this go to "musk" the meat is ruined. Hopefully when you get him he'll have only nice sweat meat.

With all due respect, MWindy, that is so much bunk!

all muscle in animals, which is what you cook and eat, is surrounded with a thin membrane of tissue that's whole purpose is to protect the muscle tissue from being invaded by other liquids, or substances. The musk glands on a boar are not going to taint the meat, if it is properly processed. Soaking the meat in water, with baking soda, or salt, or vinegar- your choice- will bleed out much of the blood that is retained in the meat, and along with the blood will come the " Gamey " taste, and the strong aroma that wild boars have. But, and this is the most important, you need to cool the meat down within a couple of hours, at the max! If you choose to shoot a pig in 90 degree heat or hotter, in Florida, for instance, you need to get that temperature down within the hour, or have the meat to begin to spoil.

Most of what people say is " Gamey " taste in any wild animal is spoilage, the result of meat not cooled down to 38 degrees Farenheit fast enough, and bacteria going to work on the meat and spoiling the taste. YOu also have to cut away all the fat, and sinew on a boar, and not just run it through a band saw at a meatpacking plant. This cuts up bone and rubs fine chips of bone into the meat, introducing bacteria which goes to work instantly and will continue to degrade the meat in the freezer! The fat and sinew contain male hormones- that strong odor- and other hormones that degrade the meat EVEN WHILE IT IS FROZEN. That is not the case with beef raised in feedlots and fed various chemicals before being slaughtered. The same for farm raised pigs. Wild game, like deer, elk, moose, caribou, and wild boar, does have to be treated differently. If you get all the white stuff cut off the meat, before freezing, minimize the bone fragments that are pushed into the meat during cutting, and get the meat cooled quickly, you should have prime fare at the table. Just soak that meat when it comes out of the freezer in water and your choice of additives, so that the bloody taste you don't get from plastic wrapped pork is removed before cooking.I prefer to remove the bones, too, before freezing, as they also contribute to that strong taste when cooked.

Wild boar will not be as tender, so you have to cook it medium rare, or seal the meat with breading, or cook the roasts in a " wet " recipe, to keep it moist, and more tender. But it can be delicious to the last bite.

I tend to grind the meat from the fore shoulders for pork sausage, because if there is any meat damaged by my shot its more likely to be there. What remains is too small to make steaks or roasts, so into the grinder it goes. I have a great method and recipe for pork or venison sausage that uses liquid smoke, and curing salt to cook the sausage, before it goes into the oven. It uses plastic wrap to form the sausages, so you don't have to have a sausage press, or buy expensive fetal pig intestines to make the sausages. You can find the recipe on the wild game recipe post below.

Paul

An animal that isn't killed quickly - struggles for awhile before dying - will have adrenalin in the blood. this contributes to 'gameness'. and from my own observation of flesh from deer that have been chased with dogs (legal in some southern states that are 'blessed' w/thicket brush) it seems that there is the same 'taste' in it. Guessing it's adrenalin also.

Back