• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Load suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vairochana

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gday- I am new to the BP world :hatsoff:
I have a shiny new 41" .45 Pennsylvania rifle and not a lot of load information.
I was wondering if anyone could suggest an accuracy load I could use as a starting point, perhaps a hunting load and an idea of a maximum load.
All the best,
Cheers

Vairochana said:
Gday- I am new to the BP world :hatsoff:
I have a shiny new 41" .45 Pennsylvania rifle and not a lot of load information.
I was wondering if anyone could suggest an accuracy load I could use as a starting point, perhaps a hunting load and an idea of a maximum load.
All the best,
Cheers
As one starting point, I use 50grns Goex 3F as a basic target load in .45/.50cals...and 90grns Goex 3F as a round ball hunting load

Welcome

I am a little more conservative that RB as I suggest a starting load at 40 grns of 3F.

Often the 45 cal max load is around 70 grains of 3f but you should consult your manul to see what the manufacturer recommends.

I would also try 2F to see if your rifle (mine does) likes it better.

Richard

I would start at 40 grains 3Fg and work up in 5 grain increments to see what load shoots the best. For 100 yards I would start at about 60 grains and do the same until the groups tighten up and has the same POI with the same POA as you have at 50 yards. Keep an eye on your patches to make sure you are not burning them out with the higher charges.

I use my 100 yard loads for hunting loads. As far as max loads, I can't help you. I never stoke my rifles to the maximum any more. I tried it when I first started out but found that they didn't group all that well and I was beating myself up with the recoil.

Remember that working up a load is to acheive the best/most consistant group or pattern. ONCE that is found, then adjust the sights to point of aim.

Brett

The maximum amount of powder you can burn in that 41 inch barrel is about 75 grains with a PRB. Start with 40, and even go down to 30 to see what kind of accuracy you might get. Top out at about 70 grains. Rules of thumb are mostly known for their exceptions, but 1 1/2 times the bore diameter is considered to be the highest recommended load for your gun. This doesn't take into account the length of your barrel, nor whether you are shooting FFg, or FFFg powder, but using the formula, 45 x 1.5= 67.5 grains, which is pretty close to that maximum charge of 75 grains, and my recommendation for 70 grains to be your top load. Use a chronograph when working up a load. It will tell you when the velocity peaks, and putting more powder under the ball just wastes powder, with no real gain in velocity. You don't give the rate of twist in the rifle, and that can also influence how well your gun will shoot heavy loads.

Good shooting

I agree with Paul. I personally use 50 gr fffg for a target load and 65 gr fffg for a hunting load in my 42" bbl .45. Initially I used a .445 ball but have switched recently to a .440 ball for greater ease of loading, with no notable loss in accuracy--but each make barrel will have its favorite. These loads make a round ball really whistle out there and are pleasant to shoot--the recoil not being even noticeable with 50 gr.

Alberta Black said:
Welcome

I am a little more conservative that RB as I suggest a starting load at 40 grns of 3F.

Often the 45 cal max load is around 70 grains of 3f but you should consult your manul to see what the manufacturer recommends.

I would also try 2F to see if your rifle (mine does) likes it better.

Richard
Just to ensure clarification, I've only operated within TC's published load data charts since starting in 1989.

TC's published .45cal round ball range is 50-110grns 2F.

Using Goex 3F instead, my 90grn charge is about 20% reduced from TC's 2F load data...well below the 10-15% industry recommended 'reduction rule of thumb'.

The only .45 rifle experience I have is with a T/C Seneca. The most accurate loads for me are 35-40 FFG and a close second is 70 of FFFG. A 70 grain load would be fine for hunting. My particular gun prefers FFG for accuracy oddly enough.

Latest posts

Back