• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.75 cal loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plewis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys, plan to get a .75 cal smoothbore. not a bess, just a large fowler-type gun. What is a good ball size/load for it? Plan to use mostly PRB but it will see some shot loads as well. Any advice?

A .735 ball usually works well. Do you want to use it in a cartridge or load on a wad with a over wad or card? Cartridges load faster, but I get better accuracy with loose components- an 11 ga. wad, with another over the ball so it won't slide up if I tip the barrel.
I use 100 grains of FF.

Captan Outwater

Have you seen the "Commtitee of safety " musket on track of the wolf's site
I like that look! :thumbsup:

I really like those commitee of safety guns, and the "militia musket" from E.R.A. They have musket-style size and loads, but still a basic fowler at heart. Was looking for ball size/powder load options. I have experiance with 20 ga. smoothbores, but need some help with the bigger stuff.:v

80-100 grs of 2f powder, an over powder wad, half a lubed cushion wad, and then a patched 715 or .735 rd ball should work in it. Only sure way to know is by experimenting with loads though.

Actually, the C.O.S. musket on Track's site is pretty straight up for what's in collections and museums. Many are real interesting hodge-podges of English, French, Dutch and locally made parts. Many are just restockings using Bess or Charleville parts where others are real interesting mixes put together on maple or cherry wood stocks.

Thanks guys! still don't understand the large difference in ball sizes though. I use .600 balls in my 20 ga. with great success. I keep hearing .715 and .735. why not a .730? I was always told to go .20 under bore size for smoothies, and .10-.15 under for rifles, and this makes for easy loading and the accuracy is great and as good as I can shoot in my guns. the mould sizes I see offered are also .715 and .735, and that's all I find! Someone please teach me what the deal is, I need to get this right, and don't want to spend any more than I need to too find the right load. Plus, I hear Ray Rapine is close to the end with his buisness, and want to get a mould for the .75 before it's too late. I have his stuff in .440 .530 and .600 and all work very well as long as you don't let them heat up too much. Keep it coming guys, I really apprecieat it! :thumbsup:

I have seen guys use 130 grs of FF and a .735 loose ball and an over shot card to hold it in place.
I have used .715 and a patch over 120grs of FF
and under sized balls in a moose hide patch with 110grs FF.
all seem to do the job all guns will shoot each load a little differently .
You'll have to try a ball size(patched or not) and powder load that you and your gun likes best.
Do you have a micrometer to measure the bore ?
this will aid you in getting a suitable ball size for the barrel you buy.

I went with a .690" ball in my 75cal mainly because you can get a Lee mold in that size for about $18 bucks, to get a .715 or larger you have to go Lyman or RCBS and you'll spend $50 bucks or more. I'd rather get a smaller ball and patch it up then spend the money on a larger ball and use a thinner patch. As long as it'll hit at 50 yrds. I'll be happy. Still haven't shot any balls thru my smoothbore yet though. :thumbsup:

Back