• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dark enough for ya?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is my latest creation. Not my best effort, but I think it's OK. A 1750's smoothbore gun .54 cal. Very German in style. The wood is VERY dark (Mike, you should be proud!). It is a totally natural color, however. No paint or aniline dye was used. Aqua Fortis and the grain was filled with an oil varnish made with extra dark rosin, which added a considerable amount of color to the stock. Much darker than if I had done the same thing with a varnish with regular rosin, or if I had filled the grain with seedlac/shellac!

Tell me what you think.

Hit this link and cycle through all the photos by hitting "next" or "previous".[url] http://photobucket.com/albums...ocks/?action=view&current=GAlockside.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
oooooo aaaaaaah nice! I like the satin finish, my personal favorite. I can smell the nice varnish finish all the way over here. Was the stock a precarve or did you the whole thing from a blank?

Looks very nice. Personally, I'd strip the ramrod but that's just me, I like em' with strips. I'm sure anyone would be proud to own such a nice gun. :thumbsup:

Chris,

Very nice indeed....I think you've accomplished your quest to duplicate a firearm true to the correct historic style. A little RCA #40 perhaps? Very nice slender lines, crisp, nice tapered PB.

A minimum of tasteful raised carving...nicely executed.

Ser gut!
Geoff Jones

I like everything about it, especially the very low sights, and the dark finish. Bill

A very nice piece Chris, I really like the effect you got on the barrel, the rest is a winner as well.

Beautiful! Chris, it may not be y our best piece but it sure is fine!! Methinks you are too modest!
I like all the parts...but the whole is the best.

:hatsoff:

Chris!
Not your best endeavor? Huh?! Don't send it to me, cause you won't get it back! Haw! :bow:
God bless.
volatpluvia

I say you should be proud of that excellent piece. I know I'd be very happy owning it or one like it.

I have been on vacation for a week--what I nice photo set to come back too--a beautiful gun! :applause:

Beautiful. I love the colour. Were you basing it on a particular original?

Long may Der F Deutscher have a fascination with early German-style guns ... Der lanky Englisher here wishes he had the same knowledge and skill to reproduce early English-style guns. Congratulations!

"I want one"....I can take care of that!

I actually am not wild about the dark color. The darker it is, the more it shows dings and nicks, besides, I have always been a big fan of natural color, whether it's wood or hair!!! (honestly, are there ANY women anymore that still have natural hair color?) :shake:

The gun is based on nothing in particular, but is just a representative example of what a VERY early American gun might look like that was made by a German immigrant gunsmith. The cheekpiece and carving behind it are unabashed copies from a ca. 1760 German bird gun that I have.

It's a beautiful gun, but IMO, it is much too dark for my liking.
I'm assuming it is Cherry or some other wood with a plain grain pattern?

IMO, it would be a crime to make a nicely figured wood that dark.

Zonie :)

I agree with Stumpkiller, a fine and lusty wench she be!!Dark as Rum and has a fine curve to her jib!

So Chris, what kind of wood is this made off? I couldn't find anywhere where you mentioned it. I'm assuming a very plain piece of maple?
I like it by the way, Color as well as archetecture. I've been kind of itchy lately to do an early germanic/colonial gun. 38" barrel, large bore Chambers germanic lock, big butted.....you get the idea :yakyak:

Back