• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms 1858 trouble?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, i was thinking of just replacing the rear adjustable sight with a fixed one in the dovetail also. May try it yet if my fix doesn't work on the adjustable one.

Rebel said:
I would think that about any Reminton mainspring would work wouldn't it? Like i said though, it may just be the screw is too short. Going to see if i can find a longer screw for it. Take care.

A longer screw might do the trick but if it's still got a weak hammer with the spring blocked up I'd say you need a new spring. All Remmy springs SHOULD fit. May need to do a lil fitting to make it fit right..

I drilled the hole that the tension screw go through a little deeper so that the screw would go in further before bottoming out on the head of the screw. Now the screw puts some tension on the spring and everything works like it is supposed to. Thanks a lot guys.

You can get what you need here for Euroarms/Armi San Paolo Revs including Revs Oldelm, Gunslinger/Halfway Creek Charlie, and myself hae been into the ASP/Euroarms Revs awhile. Charlie shot my old ASP 1858 and was hooked.
If anyone want to trade a Euroarms/ASP for a Uberti let me know. I might just do it.

Here's the site:[url] http://www.ssfirearms.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I have it working fine now since i overhauled it yesterday. Only problem is it is still shooting 8" high with the rear sight all the way down. Took it out today and it functioned fine for all 24 shots that i put through it I may get a fixed sight and install it in the dovetail and just file it down till it is on. That is if i even keep the revolver. Most likely i will just sell it. I never keep any of them too long.

Has it got the target site on the front..or a dovetail blade? You ould buy or make a taller front site...

The front sight is the target sight that is screwed to the barrel. I thought maybe it could be built up some way to bring the POI down.?

I have no idea where I saw it but somewhere during my quest for parts for my Rigarmi I saw taller replacement sights. I know that doesn't help much but they're out there.......somewhere.

Taller, i need shorter, unless you mean the front sight is taller. I put a fixed sight in the dove tail this evening after removing the adjustable rear sight. It is shorter, so if it don't rain tomorrow i will see if it is ok or too short.

Rebel said:
Taller, i need shorter, unless you mean the front sight is taller. I put a fixed sight in the dove tail this evening after removing the adjustable rear sight. It is shorter, so if it don't rain tomorrow i will see if it is ok or too short.

I was talking about the front sight.

Ok, then it makes sense. :grin: I know where to get a taller dovetailed front sight, but this one is the target model that is screwed to the barrel.

Those are the ones i've seen. This one is kind of a ramp front sight. Looks like the Pietta target model front sight. Like this.
[url] https://www.vtigunparts.com/a...8+Remington,+Target,+Tiro+.36cal,+.44cal[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i hope to try it out tomorrow again with the fixed rear sight in the dovetail and see if it is too low. If still too high, which i doubt, i can file a little off the fixed sight. I still have the adjustable sight so i can put that back on if i go ahead and sell it which i most likely will do. But it does function well now since i took it apart and tightened the hand screw and got the tension screw to do it's job. Thanks again for the help.

Rebel: Most of those replicas need a taller front sight to shoot on. Someone wrote a while back that the originals were sighed to hit dead on at 75 yards, so they all shoot high at shorter ranges. If you can't find a replacement front sight that is taller, then weld, or braze a piece of metal onto the top of the blade front side to give you more height , and drop the Point of Impact. My father did this with his Remington, cleaned up the solder with a file, and the gun shot well after that.

Thanks, that is what i was thinking about trying next, if i keep the gun. I have a friend that may be interested in buying it. If he wants it, and yes he already knows it is shooting high, then i will go ahead and sell it to him.

If you have target sites for front and rear, just make a spacer for the front to raise it...steel, brass or aluminum.
Just a thought.

I thought about that but the front of the front sight is in a slot in the barrel like a dovetail, only going front to back instead of side to side. Did that make any sense?

Back