• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers York rifle finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aragorn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
These are pretty poor resolution photos (especially of the cheekpiece carving and the silver inlay, which looks very poor here) - but I'll post a link to my photobucket account soon for better images of some of the details I worked so hard on!

This is an early rifle, 1770 or even a few years before, built in Pennsylvania by an English not a German gunmaker, hence the wrist architecture and the more Virginia style decoration (the little patchbox carving and the simple tang area carving are my own design, but the baroque style carving behind the cheekpiece is influenced by several of Mark Silver's Virginia designs, and on surviving designs in Shumway).

This is my first ever gun build and I wanted to try most things, hence the touches of silver inlay. I stopped short at engraving the lock and plate - got the tools but realised this is one thing I'll need a lot more practice at, and anyway I think I prefer the metalwork on this rifle as it is.

This was on the go for a year and was a great project for me, one of the most pleasurable things I've done for a long time. Now I have to shoot it and sight it in! And think about what I'm going to build next (a car? A house? It would be quicker ...)

The one picture over grass was taken about ten days ago after the first coat of finish, when it was still very shiny (several more thin coats followed, worked in with fingers, and the shine knocked off), but gives a slightly better view of the carving. Still not good - the detail looks all shaky. I'll take some close-ups next time I've got my camera out.

Somebody tell me if this is too many photos for one post - I wasn't sure.

DSCN1367.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1341.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1344.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1356.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1330.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1354.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1340-1.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1339.jpg
[/img]

strider,

Nicely done. A quite elegant piece. Your first??? :confused: Not bad for a 10th or 15th.

As far as the carving, stabbing in will clean up those lines considerably. I just did my first with this method and I am delighted with the cleanness (is that a word) of the lines.

Again, Congrats. :winking:

Great work for your first. :bow:
How many hours are you working at that rifle? :hmm:
The first time you will always remember. :haha:
:thumbsup:

Nice gun! I like your wood color. What did you use for stain and finish? Nice wood as well, you can see from one picture to the next how the stripes appear.

Did you say this was your fiorst gun? (first... big fingers on a key board after a day of construction work )... Very good!!! Next try one from the square. Oh and by the way, WE CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH PHOTOS!!! It still impresses me as how well most of the begining builders do. Most of us didn't know anybody or what a fine rifle even looked like when we attacked our first project. Again, congrads!!!!.......George F.

Very nicely done and well executed. The wire inlay flows well with the carving and the background is nicely finished as well.

I might have lowered the top of the forestock to show slightly more barrel. It makes the rifle appear even trimmer. Not a critism just a suggestion you might like to try on your next build.

Great color.

That is one beautiful rifle, Strider! The wooden patch box is especially well done with the striping on the box matching the butt perfectly. Well done sir, and I agree with George F., we all enjoy good photos. We'll look forward to your next half dozen or so. :hatsoff:

Beautiful. The passion you have for your work shows up in every little detail. Your next project, as Zonie says, should not be a house or car, but in my opinion, maybe a pistol to match. Either way, you will do a fine job. I can find room for that rifle if it gets in your way! :rotf: Have a great day, Shantheman

Thanks very much for these replies - it really means a lot. I would never have got anywhere without this forum, and without the willingness of people to answer my questions. I've still got a lot to learn!
Zonie, you're right. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms already - I don't know what to do with myself in the evenings. I think I want to do at least one more Chambers gun, a fowler, and then have a go at a scratch build.
Mike and others asked about the finish. I experimented with all the LM darker stains, including mixes, but eventually decided the nut brown that Jim sent with the parts was the best for me (he got it right as usual!). I applied it full strength, let it dry for 48 hours then knocked off any surface residue and sanded lightly. The finish is Chambers' oil. I started with one generous coat, let it dry for 24 hours, then knocked off the shine with denim cloth, emery paper and extra fine steel wool (taking great care to brush and wipe off steel particles). I then put on about three thin films rubbing it in with my finger to try to get the satiny look. By the 3rd film I was just applying it to areas that still looked dull. I found it was really important to let it dry thoroughly between each film. It's really humid here at the moment, and it's taken a good few days for the finish to really harden up and lose any trace of stickiness. This is worth bearing in mind even for fast-drying finishes like the Chambers oil if you live in a humid area.
Some more pictures taken this morning, with more closeups this time so you can spot the imperfections!
Thanks again everyone.

DSCN1415.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1406.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1457.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1465.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1473.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1440.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1435.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1432.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1443.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1420.jpg
[/img]
DSCN1450.jpg
[/img]

And another one, just to show the touch hole, which came out pretty well exactly at the desired intersection point - somehow.

DSCN1482.jpg
[/img]

well, I was going to post pictures of a simple little Early Lancaster hunting rifle I just finished, but after looking at this one, No WAY.
Nice rifle. Congrats :thumbsup:

oldarmy: Don't be bashful, by all means, post your pictures.:)
When you do post them, start your own thread though so I don't have to wait 5 minutes for my old crank-up phone system to down load it. :grin:
I think the old Ray-O-Vac battery needs replaceing. (Now THAT will confuse the younguns. :rotf:
Zonie :)

Old Army,
I agree with Zonie... Post your pictures so we can all celebrate with you :thumbsup: . As an amateur(I've only built one), I'd enjoy seeing it! On a different note but related to the thread; Excellent job on your first rifle Strider!

You should be very proud great job indeed !!! cant wait to see your next project

Old army you should post your rifle pics everyone like 's to the other's handy work

WOW, that is one nice looking rifle. I really like the way you left the barrel and lock "in the white" and the color of the stock. Very fine job. :hatsoff:

Back