• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkeys Day 3 pays off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
Got out to the property i have permission to hunt about 6 pm. I set up in a different area near a field where i had seen them before. I called a little off and on every 10-15 min. at about 8 pm i heard a tom off behind me gobble back. I called a bit and he answered again. I then turned to look and saw a flock of about 6 or 7 hens and jakes and 3 toms headed my way so got ready. They had a road to cross before they got to the field where i was. I watched as a couple of hens and 1 tom came across the road. But he wasn't the Big Tom of the bunch. I kept watching Mr big and he finally came on across the road. But instead of coming to my decoy he flew across the field and into some woods. The rest soon followed so i got up and headed into the woods after them. I could see them but lost sight of the tom i wanted. Then about 8:15 i spotted him. I started sneaking up as fast as i cautiously could because i was afraid he would spook. I finally got to within about 15 yds of him raised the Jackie Brown Carolina .20 ga flionter and lined his head up with the front sight. Ignition was pefect and the smoothbore spit fire andsmoke out the muzzle. He went down and never moved. The load was 80 gr of Dragon 2f powder, and overpowder wad, half a lubed fiber cushion wad, a paper shot cup that was made out of an index card, 1 5/8 oz of #2 lead shot, and an overshot card wad. I went ahead and used the index card paper cup because i tried them out the other day when i patterned the #2 shot. In my gun the 2's seem to work better than the #5 did. He was 21 1/2lbs, had a 9 3/4" beard, and only 1" spurs. My very first real Tom, and my first game ever with a flinter. My first turkey ever that i got last spring was just a jake and i got him with the Navy Arms .12 double barrel caplock.

Rebel, that's fantastic...and to be able to sneak with 15 yds of a wild turkey is incredible!
Congratulations on that plus your first game taken with a Flintlock too...
:hatsoff:

Congratulations Rebel..that's a fine gobbler. I had a feeling using those #2's would be the way for you to go. I saw a black powder turkey hunting video where they used percussion side lock guns and #'2's were all they used...think it was one of the Lynch boys in it. However..2's are not legal in all states for spring turkey.
Congratulations again on the gobbler.

Thank you Roundball. It was an exciting evening of hunting. I hope to take a deer this fall with the flinter now.

Thank you Hoyt. I think you are right about the #2 shot being the way to go for Turkeys. They seemed to pattern a little better in my gun than the #5's did and did a real number on the tom. I sure like the ignition speed with this Large Siler lock. Even I don't have time to flinch. :grin:

Rebel,

Glad to hear that your 20ga Jackie Brown did such a fine job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rebel said:
My very first real Tom, and my first game ever with a flinter.

Looking mighty fine there Rebel...

Friends122.jpg

For full size image, click here

Nice Turkey!Nice Gun there Rebel!
When ya planning on eating that there Bird?I'll bet it's gonna be good!
Congrats :thumbsup:

Congratulations Rebel! That is a fine bird. And to sneak within 15 yards of a Tom turkey tells me you must be one stealthy hunter. :hatsoff:

Way to go Rebel, that is one awesome accomplishment, to sneak to 15 yards of a big tom and take him!!! :hatsoff:

Wess

Invited the son and his family down next sunday to help us eat it. Hope it don't turn out to be a Fowl tasting old bird. :grin:

Not really all that good a hunter, just lucky. I been hunting since i was 10. If you look at the picture of me you can tell that has been a couple of years, 'er i mean decades. :grin:

Beauty bird Rebel , I'd like to try 2's but the Ministry of Natural Resouses (Canadian game warrden ) says we can only use 4,5 and 6 in this neck of the woods. Some(most) days I wish I could use a ball and patch!! Those days when Tom don't want to get any close than 50-60 yards.
enjoy your fine catch.

Hawk2, thank you. There were a couple of times this year that i thought a rd ball would be nice in the flinter instead of shot. :grin:

Better never than late! Looks like I'm the last guy to say "Good Going!" Now all you have to do is work up a good Sasquatch load!! :rotf:

Back