• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with TVM kits? I am just checking out all the different companies to make up my mind.

I did a Early Virginia Rifle kit from them. Took about 3-4 weeks of work. Not too bad, and the parts are nice. I would get a swamped barrel if i did it again to save on weight and to be more correct.

The inletting was ok, and only took a little work to finish inletting the parts. It was my first kit and went well.

They are good people to deal with.

I just finished a Chambers kit, and was much more impressed with the parts and only took 1/2 the time to finish, but the price was a lot higher!

Some things I liked better about the TVM kit and other things about the Chambers, but both were a lot of fun.

Let us know what you decide on, Matt

Jack Garner's TVM or Matt and Toni's TVM??
I have bought a number of Jack's kits and love them.
Never built a chambers yet, but hear wonderfull things about them.

uh, I guess I should have clarified. I was aware that Tennesse Valley Manufacturing (is that right) had kits. I didn't think that Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading had kits. I thought they only built rifles to order. At least I can't find any on their web site.

I am sure Matt and Toni will sell you one in
"the white" It's kind of a "kit" the parts are all on the rifle, fowler, You just need to finish the weapon, Usaly the are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.
TVM kits can range from very rough, only the barrel and r/r hole done, cut to lenght, to having him inlet the lock and I am sure he will do the trigger.
Jack is a good guy.. I like his stuff. Of course I am going to have to buy a chambers.
Probably the difference between a chevy and a cadilac.

Matt and I do sell kits of all of the styles. Sorry the site isn't clear about this. It is going to be updated soon.
On our kits, the barrel and ramrod channels are inlet 100%, lock and triggers about 90%, dovetails cut for sights, breechplug installed and tang inlet, butt completely shaped, forarm left a little heavy on top, vent liner or drum installed, drilled and tapped for rear/ center lock bolt, and predrilled on the octagon barrels for stake type tennons (oct- round use solder tennon on the round). We include a tang bolt or wood screw for the breech, so that you have a choice.
Hope this helps to clear up some of my lack of web info.
Sorry, Slash

Slash,
I haven't had the pleasure of building one of your kits.
I was talking about Jack's "tvm" going from Rough to pretty much semi-finished.
I should have made that clearer.. I have seen Matt's work on the TOW website and it's very nice.

Im the proud owner of two TVM guns {Matt-Toni}and couldnt be more pleased.Ones a fowler and the other a Virginia although mine were made to order i think thier kits should be on par with the rest of thier service give them a call ask for Toni she"ll answer any question you have. p.s. tell her Kevin from California sent yaa!

I only posted that so it would clear up about us offering kits. I wasn't meaning to sound "superior". Trust me we are very human here.
Slash

I have a TVM (Matt and Toni) rifle and am very pleased with it.

I also have the parts to make a rifle from Jack Garner and it seems like it will also be a good gun.

As an aside, I think that we should decide to use the name TVM for Matt and Toni and use Jack's Stock Shop for Jack. This is just too confusing with 2 TVMs.

Comments?

CS

I am currently working on an early virginal kit from TVM (Matt and Toni). I am pleased with it. I am even more pleased with the amount of support I am getting from them. I have called a number of times to ask questions and they are always polite and helpful, not to mention patient.

Scott Adair

I have a Jack Garner .40 cal Tenn.Jack took my measurements at his shop and allowed me to pick out the parts I wanted while I was there.It originally was to be a.32 but I took Jack's advice and went with the .40. Lefty, fullstock with a 36" bbl.A friend was so taken with it that he ordered a right hand version the next week.All of this took place about the time Matt and Toni were ttaking over the original operation.
Another friend ordered a Lancaster.This one was built by Matt.This rifle is an outstanding example of contemporary gun building , both in its appearance and performance.My other buddy then had Matt do a .36 flinter which also turned out great.
In the meantime,l had the chiseling, rasping,fever. With what appeared to be a walnut porch post and a bargain .36 cal bbl I began to produce copious quantities of chips and shavings, the result of which was to be a left hand flinter. Matt and Toni supplied me with the parts needed to complete my gun, but more importantly, they offered advice and encouragement along the way.Pardon the lengthof the post.
Wayne Byram

well, you must be in the same neck of the woods.
How he making out with his new knee?
I gave him a few Arkansas stones to try out and he invited me down for some stock building lessons.
but I understand he has been building for 40+ years.
How many guns has he made do think?

I never built aTVM kit but I have built a jim chambers kit. joy to build, very nice parts and stock.

Back