• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Fowler on TOW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the trigger guard on the first, it just doesn't look 'right'.....of the three, I like the second one the best, then the third one as their lines appeal to me more than the first with it's fancy silver furnature. :hatsoff:

#3 is the only english fowler in the bunch, it's done fairly well and is historically correct for the 1770's .

I agree with Mike here.No.3 is a nice English type fowler from the late 18th century period. I don't care much for the chocolate browning on a gun of this period preferring bluing but some were browned this early and this is a matter of personal preference as is the use of American black walnut.I would have ordered a gun like this in English walnut but that's just my preference.I don't care for the other two especially the extra wood left on what I can see of No.2 Oddly the one I consider to be the most accurate interpretation of a late 18th century English style fowler is also the least expensive and even with Track's markup it is still a good buy for someone wanting a Revolutionary War period fowler which would be appropriate for an American officer or even possibly a British officer of that period. Had the gun been English walnut,it could have been carried by either a British or American officer.The guard with its second period acorn finial rules out the gun's correct use in the F&I War.All in all this is a a nice gun at a reasonable price.
Tom Patton

Thank goodness! What's the deal on the acorn triggerguards? I never can remember.

Some of them are made that way. You shouldn't need to remove it except to replace it.
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=14&subID=173&styleID=792[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Lewis said:
Thank goodness! What's the deal on the acorn triggerguards? I never can remember.
That style of acorn is refered to the "second type of acorn and is post 1765. The earlier type is some times refered to as the " first type" or "husk" and goes back at least to the 1720's or 30's.
>>>>HUSK OR FIRST TYPE

Mike Brooks said:
akapennypincher said:
For that ASKING Price you could have a Caywood English Fowler, with Patch BOX... :bow:
English fowlers didn't have patch boxes....

Well I saw one at the Range with one, it look GREAT IMO... So if I had the BREAD I get one with a Patch Box as I like the LOOK..... :blah:

Afraid No.1 isn't like any English fowler, trade gun, what-have-you I've ever seen. Unless you're going into re-enacting, I'd say buy it, shoot it, enjoy it!

If historical accuracy isn't desireable, then a patchbox would be fine. :winking:

My favorite is no.3.That's a very fine one. :bow:
I don't like the trigger guard from no.1.
:hatsoff:

Back