• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I found tha' load, but will it work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcrush

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Worked on the load for my Fox River Fiftey yesterday.
found that with 70-90 gr of powder the ball was heading up,up & away (off the paper)...even out to 100 yrds.
So I backed it down 5 gr at a time to an even 50 gr. 2" high at 100 yrds. (I am trying to keep the original iron sights as this will open up more draw oppurtunities for primitive weapons a guide told me.)

But, will this be a good Hunting load?
Does it has enough energy @100yds to do the job ?
Game would be white tail deer.
thanks

Bigcrush said:
found that with 70-90 gr of powder the ball was heading up,up & away (off the paper)...even out to 100 yrds.
So I backed it down 5 gr at a time to an even 50 gr. 2" high at 100 yrds. (I am trying to keep the original iron sights as this will open up more draw oppurtunities for primitive weapons a guide told me.)

thanks
In my opinion, 50grns would be too light for a deer beyond 25yds...and at 100yds, I would want to be leaning towards a max/near-max hunting load for a round ball.

For example, mine is 90grns Goex 3F in a 32" barreled Flintlock...my personal belief is that if I err with a powder charge, I want to err on the stout side

50 grs is too kight a load for anything but small game unless you are real close, say 25 yds or so. You need to find to be using 70-90 gr for big game, especially at longer range. JMO

I found the same thing about accuracy to be true with the short barreled Fox River's using PRB's and hunting loads.
Ours shot a saboted .45 TC Maxiball/Hunter conical on-line with the sights but low, so you'd probably need to compensate for bullet drop if you try a sabot or a similiar (250 grain) .50 caliber conical without the sabot (like a Lee REAL bullet?).
What ever you choose, you'll still have to limit your range (to 60-65 yards maybe?).
You can always reload more easily with a PRB or conical in the field for a follow up shot rather than with a sabot.
Does the projectile type also limit your draw possibilities?

YOu can either cut the notch in the rear sight lower, or replace the front site with a taller one. 50 grains is a target load in a 50 caliber gun. You can use it on squirrel and rabbits out to 35 yds, if you can hit them, but don't even think of using it on a deer. If you check the prior posts here, you will find that most hunters load 80grains or more of FFg powder, and some go higher even with FFFg powder. The cost of a replacement sight will be a lot less the cost of powder and lead you have already used finding that 50 gr. load.

Bigcrush said:

thanks

Like the other's stated, you will probably be too weak in your load out at 100 yrds. Maybe I missed it but what size powder are you using? I have gone up to 100 grns with 2f in my .50 with various projectiles.

If that didn't work I've used 3f in various grns. up to about 85 grns.

Bigcrush said:

thanks

If you are using 2F, try some 3F and increase your charge and see what happens.

try goin back to 70-90 and make adjustments with your sights or sight picture...I wouldn't shoot a deer with anything less...I use 100 grains and I've gotten two deer in three years of tryin {with muzzleloader}

You can either cut the notch in the rear sight lower, or replace the front site with a taller one.

Lowering the notch won't help unless you file the top flat down also. A taller front sight is what I would recommend. Track of the Wolf has a selection.

50 grains is pretty light for big game. Certainly not out past 50 yards with a round ball, though I have no doubt it's been done and we'll likely get responces stating that. There is no margin for error or interference. I use 42 gr as a small game load in both the .50 and .54 and I'd feel a lot better going after a whitetail with 75 or 80 or above.

:bow:
My thanks to all !
I don't think that a different bullet type will hurt the draw chances, was just trying to keep the equipment origanal.
will probably try a diiferent sight tho, as I can't stand the thought of wounding an animal and the nightmare that follows it.

Am useing Pyrodex (FFG=) , a .490 roundball and .015 patches.
Thought about sabots and such, just haven't gotten around to trying them. (was my first day at the range with the rifle.)

again, Thanks

Latest posts

Back