• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enlarging barrel inlet on pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aap2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm building a duelling/target style pistol and would like to use a 15/16" straight barrel; however my stock blank (band sawn to rough shape only) has a barrel channel for a 13/16 barrel. Is there anyway to enlarge the barrel channel to 15/16 or is there anyone who does this commercially? I would like to use the stock since it's a great piece of walnut and I need to use the 15/16" barrel because it has a patent breech. I would appreciate any and all ideas. thanks.

A half round rasp other files and sandpaper, your own sweat equity and the pistol is yours. You Can do it.

Just make sure that you have enough room for the lock with a wider barrel, and get to inleting. :winking:

Here's a tool that makes it pretty easy. Cut and grind this out of a piece of handsaw blade or a cabinet scraper. File the edges square. If you want to burnish a scraper hook into the edges, great, but I don't find it neccessary.

scraper.jpg

I make this to fit the final barrel width for a straight barrel. It will go into the channel at a slight angle at first, but in a short time you will get it scraped to the right width.

It does let you know when it is break time. This little scraper does get pretty damned hot! :hatsoff:

Thanks to Lonesomebob, Roy and Doc Arroyo for your suggestions, offers to help and encouragement. I'm going to fire up my grinder and make a scraper! You guys and this board are the best!

Back