• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinchitis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, like a recovering alcoholic, one may never be cured of flinching. I believe I am having a relapse and overcoming and curing it seems to be more difficult.

In the past, I made myself very aware of flinching and was able to eleminate it from my shooting. Now, it is getting harder to "cure."

So, I am asking for suggestions and recommendations that have worked the best for some of you.

WHY this is more difficult is because my mind knows better...............that is, if I put a cap on an unloaded gun and go through the motions of shooting, I do not flinch. But when I KNOW the gun is loaded with a charge, the anticipation is not fooled! I experience a case of Regressive Flinchitis .

So, I am seeking the cures and advice from ex flinchers!!

TexiKan

Is your flinching the result of excessive recoil?If so , try using a much reduced load at first and then gradualy and over the course of a few shooting sessions,increase the powder charge until you reach an effective and comfortable target/hunting load.

A big portion of shooting is mental. No different than Golphing, Bowling, or Billiards. This is just my opinion, but I think you may be anticipating your shot. Upon slowly and steadily squeezing your trigger, you should be surprised when your weapon discharges. Keep practicing!

Try putting ear plugs in along with the ear muffs, could be you are really noise sensitive...

Also, breathing is an important part of staying on target, take a deep breath, let half out and slowly squeeze the trigger...

This is how I learned when I was growing up...

Agggh, I almost forgot, start breathing again... :shocked2: :haha:

Seriously though, with an empty gun, sight it up and breath as normal, all the time taking note where the front blade is wondering about during the breathing cycle...

practice practice practice...the ideas above are all good....I like the idea of lighter loads for awhile...I had a problem with flinching with one particular rifle because I had gotten a speck of manure in my eye while shooting it. I donned the safety glasses, made them a rule and shot that rifle hundreds and hundreds of times until I realized I was no longer flinching.

I feel for you. I came from the trap shooting arena and after 10 to 12 years, developed a real bad flinch when shooting offhand. rifles off the bench or sticks was not a prob.
I had a release trigger put in my trap gun. cured that problem.
Wont work in your case.
All the above info is great, try them. I relly lean on the ears!
Reduced loads are a great idea, and I would add the recoil is a big factor in flinch.
If you are shooting 3F now, if you're 50cal or bigger, try 2F. It is a lower pressure powder. Also a slightly thinner patch might help as this will give a less tension fit.
Worth a try, if accuracy falls to pieces, stick with ball/patch combo that proved out.

I'm shooting a home cast 490 rb and using .010 and .008 patches over 65gr 2F goex and sometimes 60gr pyro SELECT and my CVA Mt rifle is a joy to shoot, no real flinch issues from a dyed in the wool certified flincher! this groups well also.

I really hope you can turn this around and know you will!

heart felt regards,
Brett

Tips to make you a better flintlock shooter and will help eliminate your flinch.

1. Concentrate on the front sight and target.
2. Lighten your trigger pull
3. Count to 3 before you drop your gun from your aiming position.
4. Relax

If after following these instructions, and you're still flinching. Do what the grizzled old coots I shoot with tell me... Man up and stop being a sissy. :rotf:

My solution to flinching is to periodically set up on a bench with the gun resting on sandbags. Shooting from this position eliminates a lot of the aiming issues and alows for total concentration on the sight picture and holding it until after the shot has been made. After doing this of several shots at each reach session over a month or so I've found that when I get a flash in the pan or no flash shooting offhand at competitions I haven't flinched and people around me instead of laughing at the flinch for nothing general note my lack of flinching.

Just my solution if may work for you. :hatsoff:

flyboy said:
A big portion of shooting is mental. Upon slowly and steadily squeezing your trigger, you should be surprised when your weapon discharges.

THAT may be something to consider since the bod and mind anticipate the recoil with a flinch! If I cannot anticipate the "surprise" and do so while having an accurate aim, I might kick the habit! Also, I may put the sonic ear plugs in a bit more as it may be true that the sound also triggers a reaction.

What is aggravating is that I won the club agg a year ago. Now I shoot like a.....pilgrim!

Hypnosis, huh???!!!!

I may be ready for that!

TexiKan

Have a range partner prime / cap (or not) for you with your back turned.

That way... the rifle is loaded... but may or may not go boom.

It's a trick I was shown in the 1970's to help with flinching (or how to show somebody they were flinching).

It can help you settle down.

However, if you flinch 3 times in a row doing this, pack it up for the day as all you are doing is training yourself to flinch.

Cheers, (and good shooting)

David Teague

Latest posts

Back