• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Chicken Killer !!!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know that ferrets were like that.
Like the difference between a dog and a wolf, or a bobcat and a "miss fluffy"
thanks.
I still ain't owning one.. a ferret.. little slinky things give me the creeps

They may not be as big as a Puma but have you ever seen a wolverine? Sort of like a badger squared and cubed an loaded out with steroids.
Same family.
A ferret is a domestic animal that lacks the muscle and stamina of it's wild cousins. They zip around a play dash around the house for a little while but seem to run out of gas and need to rest for a few minutes to recharge. "Julechen" used to like to nip bare feet in the morning. Unlike cats
ferrets don't get a guilty look on their face when
you yell at them. I doubt Hindsite's new buddy will either.. :grin:

I trapped those slinky little varmits when I was in high school...and I made some good money doing it {or so I thought at the time}

ferret2.jpg

I call it "Essence of Ferret"

Hindsite,
If he had known you would feed him so well, you would'nt of had to catch him he would
of turned himself in :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
snake-eyes :hmm:

I saw a chicken once that was attacked by one of these little guys. The chicken had pin hole size dots in his comb. Apparently they grab you, hang on, bite you and drink the blood until your sense less and finish with a hot meal. Luckily the chicken recovered.
Regards

They certainly are killers. Mink were one of my favorites to trap as a kid...I only caught 1 weasel and that was by accident. But a piece of muskrat for bait stuck back in a hole in the bank, along the sycamore roots and ol' minkie would be a waitin in the morn...

Glad you got him before he cleaned you out.
wess

I was archery hunting about 15 years ago and was walking up the mountain in the dark. I heard something , footstep keeping pace with me. When I stopped the leaves quit russeling. I shined the light around ,small flashlight, but didn't see anything. The hairs started standing up on my neck. after abput ten more steps I spun around with the light and caught a weasel in the edge of the light with his little beady glowing. I swear he was planning an attack. That was a good laugh at the time.

my dad raised chickens when i was small and hatchlings will kill each other,pick out eyes etc.

Weasels are like poodles; They think they are REALLY tough, but a good swift kick settles that! :grin:

rubincam said:
my dad raised chickens when i was small and hatchlings will kill each other,pick out eyes etc.

Must have had all hens. :rotf:

Seriously, severe pecking is a result of too much light, too warm, too crowded, mixed chick ages or insufficient food/nutrients. Some breeds are also a lot more aggressive than others. Those little gold chicks are Buff Orpingtons and they're as laid back as chickens get.

I've had Ermine a.k.a. common or least weasels living around and in the house and garage, in Northern Wisconsin for years.

Only one winter, I had a pure white ermine run across the living room. Needless to say the dog was not pleased and gave hot pursuit which ended in the end tables being turned over, and the couch flying as my 100 pound lab felt he could fit into the same spaces as a 7 ounce weasel.. the ermine escaped of course, and the dog got a fast training session in house educate.

Although I saw him a couple times that one winter, I never saw a mouse in the house, and he was very kind about doing his toilet business outside as I never saw traces of his scat. Actually I left him alone (as did the dog after the first encounter) and he kept the house free of rodents. I wish he/she would return every year. Instead they live in the garage.

They are a facinating creature to watch while they hunt. They will move under the snow sneaking up on small birds. They pop their head up, get a bearing and suddenly they explode out of the snow and attack. A ruthless little critter, but very welcome around here.

To trap them is easy. You have chicken livers on a string off a branch about two and a half feet off the ground and place your traps under the liver. The weasels jump in the air grabbing the liver which weights the limb enough to lower them on to the trap.

There are other ways of getting them; with a drill, a tree, a chunk of meat, and a finishing nail sharpened to a very fine point.

There larger cousins, the pine martins, fisher, badgers, skunks, and wolverine are the ones you really need to be careful of.

Back