• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A good knife needs a good sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
A while back I had Dennis Miles from Double Edge Forge make me one of his Hudson Bay Buffalo knives. I played around with it awhile, then I sent the knife to Chuck Burrows at Wild Rose Trading Post, this is the results;... Chuck chiseled and filed out the sterling sliver cross. The sheath has a bark tan leather core with an elk hide cover which is decorated with brass tacks. The cuff is made out of brain tan and was dyed with walnut hull dye. The cross is attached with iron tacks. All sewing was done with linen thread. Everything was given a patina including the knife rivets.

To say I'm pleased with the results is an understatment

laclair-060319-001.jpg

laclair-060319-002.jpg

laclair-060319-003.jpg

Got to admit, Chuck does beatiful work. I've known him for some time on the Outpost forum...Bud

Ok... that sheath is ridiculous.... I have never seen such detail and obvious care put into something like that. WOW... that needs to go on display somewhere. I'd be afraid to get use it in the rain.

Longhunter. I wish knew how to post a picture because I have a knife that I made out of a meat cleaver that looks like yours I bought it for 1.50 at yard sale.We cut the blade with a metal saw blade,I put leather handles so I could throw it. My sheath is not as fancy as yours, I made mine out of a handmade boot top after old man up on hill died and his grandkids threw the boots over hill and I found[url] them.Made[/url] holster For a 36 cap&ball pistol out of other top. My knife is 14 half inches long and 2 inches wide ,my point is a little more slimmer then yours. Dilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... that sheath is ridiculous.... I have never seen such detail and obvious care put into something like that. WOW... that needs to go on display somewhere. I'd be afraid to get use it in the rain.

Slowpoke,... On the contrary, Chucks sheaths and other leatherwork are NOT delicate by any means. If fact, they're tough as iron and the more they are used, the more they age and look like originals.

Boar-dilly,... Here's how Dennis makes his knives, in his own words.

Hudson Bay Camp Knife

(Done the Old Way)

"I start with a piece of steel (usually buggy spring) about 12" long and 1-7/8" wide, 1/4" thick or so. This is then forged to the general shape of the knife, using a set of old calipers to keep my measurements right. After rough forging, I let the piece cool some and check the dimension and do additional forging, if needed, to get it close to the finished size. The knife is then heated to cherry red and buried in the annealing box until absolutely cool. (This box has sand and some diatamatious earth in it and allows the steel to slowly cool and soften so it can be easily filed.)

After cooling, I check for straightness and dimension, if I am happy, I then move to the bench. I then take a scratcher and outline the final dimension of the blade. It is then put in the vice and I file to the etched lines. Then the knife is turned so the flat side is up in the vice and I file out all (or most) of the forge marks and profiled for the taper from the spine to edge and haft to point. (This is the labor intensive part of knife making, as it takes many times longer to do this by hand than the actual forging. Figure 10% forge and 90% bench on larger or finer pieces) I then decide on and mark the pin holes in the haft. The knife is then brought back to the forge and the pin holes are punched, and straightened up. The entire knife is then heated and returned to the anneal box. After it is cool, I go back to the bench and clean up the pin holes, check final dimension and overall appearance, if I am happy I then chisel my mark into it. At this point I head back to the forge. I now heat a piece of iron to put in the tallow trough. (This is a 12" X 12" X 24" walnut beam that I have hollowed out and put rendered fat, oil, used grease in). This is used, once heated, to harden a knife. ( as a side note, the trough should be oriented N-S to reduce blade warpage) I put the iron in the fat and let it melt and flare up. Once it quits flaming, it is melted and at the right temperature for hardening. The cutting edge of the knife is then heated until non-magnetic, (a little darker than cherry red) it is then eased into the melted tallow. I then take it out, wipe it off and check for evenness and any cracks. The knife blade is then heated until the entire thing is non-magnetic and once again put in the trough, covering only the cutting edge and the first inch or so of the width of the blade. I hold it there until the entire knife is no longer red..It is then cleaned once again, checked for cracks and any warping. I then repeat the last step one more time. After the blade is cleaned once more, and polished some, I heat a large piece of wrought iron in the forge until it is white, but not sparking. The knife is then laid, spine down, on the iron. This heats the blade up, drawing color thru it, spine to edge. I stop the heat, on this particular stlye of knife at DARK straw, nearly light blue at the edge and quench in water (A tad harder than a hatchet). It is then re-polished and this procedure is done twice more with the last time left to cool on its own with no quench.

The knife is once again brought to the bench. Now I will polish the blade. This is done with an OLD red fired brick and oil ( I generally use bear oil, as I like the consistency) All I do is put oil on the blade and then start rubbing the brick on it until I produce a "slurry" of brick dust and oil. I then rub this with a piece of brain tanned leather used for this and this only , replenishing as needed. Once the level of polish I want is reached the knife is cleaned and inspected. (This method isn't like using 1000 grit wet paper, but it works.) The hard part is now over, now to the hafting with wood.

For this knife, I used walnut that was slabbed out of a tree on the property. It is already pretty much the desired thickness. So all I have to do is trace the tang shape and cut it with a coping saw. The pin holes are then drilled using a small post drill. The slabs are then placed on the tang (haft) using blind pins and I proceed to rasp/scrape to the final shape. Once that is done, I take sheet brass and cut/file/drill/polish washers for the rivets. I heat a mixture of beeswax/pine pitch and powdered charcoal and paint on the inside of the scales. This will act as a sealant. The slabs are then pinned on and peened over the washers. I use a piece of brain tan that has dried slurry on it then to polish the rivets some and touch up the tang and slabs. I then rub in a few layers of alternating beeswax and

oil in the slabs. The knife is then given a "rough" cutting edge on my peddle wheel. It is then hand sharpened to a final edge with a couple of India stones and a wood backed strop. The edge is sharpened to suit the work of the knife. This is a working knife and not a straight razor, so it is sharpened accordingly. It is tested then by cutting thru a rope or two, slicing some stuff in the kitchen and then clean cutting and chopping thru some Osage limbs. If I am happy with it, it is then cleaned, oiled and ready for the new owner."

Simple, no??

Dennis Miles

DOUBLE EDGE FORGE

New Paris, Ohio

thank you for explaining the process to everyone now we all understand why the cost of knives are what they are...Chuck

Dennis Miles, like a select few, is an artist when it comes to creating a knife. Here's some of his thoughts that you may find interesting.

The Truth About Knives
"I was sitting and thinking the other day... (already taught the Beagle the finer points of clay pipe smoking) so I had time to think. What I thought about is when I heard that Michelangelo made David by just chipping away everything that didn't look like David, I have heard this too from gun makers, take away everything that doesn't look like a gun,,yadda..yadda..yadda..... Well, I don't build guns and the only time I break a rock is when my gun flint takes a manure. I am a Bladesmith. It is my opinion and I have heard from good sources (a faerie and Gnome or two) that all knives (save but a few from Pakistan) are sentient beings, shy ones, but alive none the less. Knives love to hide in metal, at first copper and bronze were good places to hide, and later wrought iron, carbon steel and other malleable steels. I say malleable steel because a knife exposed by a grinder or milling machine has no soul and if it was alive and hiding in there, it was killed by the machine long before it was revealed and to a lesser extent the gas from a gas forge will kill nearly outright any knife. The only way to "expose" a knife critter is by heating his hiding place with a coal fire to a determined color (depending on the steel) and coaxing him out with hard to very gentle blows with properly applied hammer. The knife is generally quiet and quite enjoys the heat applied and thinks nothing of it when you lay him on the anvil, as it a comfortable and serviceable bed (for a knife) the surprise comes when you start in a hammerin'. If you are skilled enough the knife will be exposed with just a few blows, this is the best way, as a knife that was hammered on willy nilly will be a bit skittish and may bite you when you least expect it. The knife you expose will generally be glad to meet you, and will expect a few more gentle heatings and few more gentle taps to finesse it into his final shape and harden and temper his character to match his future job. The filing you do on the knife does nothing more than remove some of the former hiding place he had in the steel, if you know knives, this is a simple task and he will be able to tell you when he is "just right" Knives love wood... Antler and bone to a lesser extent to "dress him up a bit", but you have to ask what he prefers, the same way as the level of polishing. Some are rough and tumble types that just wants a quick slap on the anvil to remove the scale, others like to be polished up right shiny and even have a bit of gold or silver jewelry attached, but most like a bit of wood and a touch of pewter or mebby brass, but not too much. I always say "He" but the knives that run to the real fancy are more "She", kinda like Humans in that way, I guess. SO now you know the truth about knives. I think I will go out, light up a pipe with the Beagle and discuss this with her".....

The sheath is obviously a beautiful, functional piece of art. What really amazes me is how PERFECTLY it seems to match the rest of your kit. Gorgeous.

What's the deal with double edged forge? I know Dennis Miles makes knives but I thought Spike Hale was tied in with it too? Anyone clear this up for me?

Spike is a friend, but has nothing to do with Double Edge Forge. Where did that rumor come from??? First I have heard it.

Dennis
Smith and Janitor
Double Edge Forge

Ridge said:
What's the deal with double edged forge? I know Dennis Miles makes knives but I thought Spike Hale was tied in with it too? Anyone clear this up for me?

I don't think Spike Hale has anything to do with Double Edge Forge, but rumor has it that he taught Dennis Miles everything he knows about knife making. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Randy Hedden

Brother Harddog... I am assumpting that you have your earthly affairs in order and have made peace with your God(s). LIfe is gonna get interesting, I think... :blah:

longhunter,
That is a great looking sheath.
Those are some outstanding photos also! Did you
take them? :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

longhunter,
That is a great looking sheath.
Those are some outstanding photos also! Did you
take them? :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

No, Chuck took them....he's also a good photographer... :thumbsup: ... :bow:

Talk about getting your info from the horses mouth! :grin:

Actually Dennis, it's a rumor that I think I came up with on my own. A couple of years ago I bought a fish tailed knife off of a trade blanket that was made by Spike. The guy who sold it to me said to look him up online and I would be able to varify his quality. Whatever site I found must have had a link to you or sold your knives too. I put the two of you in business together. Sorry.

hello,
Does anyone have a site address that's current for Spike?
all help is appreciated!
be safe...
Ted

Back