• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke my Rod by being Stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwat06

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the range today, good weather finally, and I was in a bit of a rush so I skipped breakfast. Was getting really good groups at 75 yards ... well I was loading my rifle when my mind drifted thinking about how great a Rally's burger with a Milkshake would taste. Don't know what happened next ... the rifle was falling, I push down on the rod (which was a canted angle), heard a snap, a crack as my rifle hit the cement, and thumb was hurting from being cut. :cursing:

As we use to say in the Army: A self inflicted sucking chest wound. No real damage done. I guess shooting is 90% mental; because after that little show I was pushing shots all over the paper. Checked the sights nothing wrong ... just ****** at myself. New rifle's first dings.

mwindy said:
Went to the range today, good weather finally, and I was in a bit of a rush so I skipped breakfast. Was getting really good groups at 75 yards ... well I was loading my rifle when my mind drifted thinking about how great a Rally's burger with a Milkshake would taste. Don't know what happened next ... the rifle was falling, I push down on the rod (which was a canted angle), heard a snap, a crack as my rifle hit the cement, and thumb was hurting from being cut. :cursing:

As we use to say in the Army: A self inflicted sucking chest wound. No real damage done. I guess shooting is 90% mental; because after that little show I was pushing shots all over the paper. Checked the sights nothing wrong ... just ****** at myself. New rifle's first dings.

Sorry man...

Sorry to hear about that.
I use a stainless steel range rod so I don't do the same thing myself.

HD

mwindy said:
Don't know what happened next ... the rifle was falling, I push down on the rod (which was a canted angle), heard a snap, a crack as my rifle hit the cement, and thumb was hurting from being cut. :cursing:

Could have turned out a lot worse than a broken rod, a few dents and a cut thumb, glad it wasn't primed, did it fall towards down range or towards you/someone else?

Ideally, you live and learn. :) As far as the ding, think of it as a battle scar. In regards to your ramrod, a new hicory ramrod is relatively inexpensive. Just be happy that you or a bystander was'nt hurt!

:redface: If you think a broken ramrod is embarising? Waist till you have been in the muzzleloading game for some 30 years and suffer a string of 4 dry balls and start asking your self is senility finaly here?????????

Y'all just gotta quit lookin at the women when yer loadin, keep yer mind on what yer doin. :grin:

mwindy said:
well I was loading my rifle when my mind drifted thinking about how great a Rally's burger with a Milkshake would taste.

So did you still go to Rally's???

Are ya telling us don't to shoot hungry? Or is it don't think about burger when loading? Hope your thumb's all right. I haven't done that {yet} I hope a skip that chapter

Thanks all for the kind words:

Yes I was by myself ... I was 2 hours late to the shoot so everyone had shot and left :grin:

Yes the Rally Burger was great with a side of crow.

Pretty Women??? Haven't see women pretty or otherwise at the range since I joined.

Back