• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

one hole groups are possible with 1 in 48 twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pghhinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
came back from the range today with good results. less than one and one half inch group at 50yards rested.thats five shots mind you.my load is 60g. 3f 490 ball. dry patch 0.015 with me installing the bore butter.the only problem was my ram rod broke. another is on order.

pghhunter said:
came back from the range today with good results. less than one and one half inch group at 50yards rested.thats five shots mind you.my load is 60g. 3f 490 ball. dry patch 0.015 with me installing the bore butter.the only problem was my ram rod broke. another is on order.
Excellent shooting...sounds like you've got it dialed in!!
:thumbsup:

No, It's because you have to use impossibly tight patching/ball combinations to get the maxi-ball rifling to engage a patched round ball. Too much work and not enough fun. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Keep breaking them ramrods boys.

nice shooting, keep getting rid of the black in the middle of those targets :thumbsup:

I've never broke a ramrod but have broke a ball starter. That was back before I started shooting roundballs though.

Yeh them tight groups are there just can't run them too fast.

my ramrod really didnot actually break it split along the grain .iinstalled some electrical tape and continued to use it.it just willnot fit back into the gun.it probaly was not the best quality anyway.also it was not all that difficult to seat any of the prb's.even after more than 10 shots.

Swampman said:
No, It's because you have to use impossibly tight patching/ball combinations to get the maxi-ball rifling to engage a patched round ball. Too much work and not enough fun. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Keep breaking them ramrods boys.

Do you ever get to the range Swampy?I hear shooting is a great stress reliever! :blah: :rotf:

My best shooting rifle has 1 in 48" twist, shoots a heavier hunting load just as well as a light load, one ragged hole at fifty yards, easy loading. I am getting another.

Trot said:
My best shooting rifle has 1 in 48" twist, shoots a heavier hunting load just as well as a light load, one ragged hole at fifty yards, easy loading. I am getting another.

I've got 2 of them...No wait ....3 of these twist guns.I've killed many Deer,Gongs and Paper and most accuratly with them.
Some guys can't hit anything with any Twist and then Blame it on the guns.... :snore:

How does Green River sell so many barrels? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yep, the dozens of folks I've known with these cheap guns couldn't get then to hit anything smaller than a pie plate, even with conicals until the bought a quality barrel to replace the tube that came with them.

How can these scratches they call rifling do something they were never intended to do?

Why do people shoot Roundballs in Smoothbores then?
So many Questions......... :hmm:

Smoothbores weren't designed for shot only. Maxi-ball barrels were designed to shoot conicals.

That's why traditional enthusist, replace them with barrels that are designed for traditional projectiles.

I think you'd be as well off with a smooth bore barrel. At least you wouldn't need a short starter and a mallet. They shoot one hole groups at 50 yards to. The 1 in 48 rifling isn't doing anything.

Well....... regardless of what Anyone says.... if you are shooting 1 hole groups or 1" groups with a RB at 50 yards with a ML with a 1-48" twist, I think ya are doing Great & the H with everyone else !
Really, who cares what twist it is or how deep the rifling is, you made it work & that is all that matters....... Let them blubber all they want about your twist...... You found the secret for the twist, go on & have some fun with shooting it....... :grin:

Nice shootin'!! Regardless of how you're doing it, nice shooting.

-Turtle2-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back