• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Round Ball Size for .50 GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate to pick up an older used .50 flint Lyman GPR in remarkably good condition with it's orange box recently, and I've spent some time searching the threads here for some 411 on optimum round ball size, patching, loads etc.

I'm looking specifically for recommendatons on round ball size .490 vs .495, and patch thickness, say 0.010 vs 0.015.

My own experience has been with .54 rifles and .75 muskets, so your input regarding the .50 GPR is very much appreciated.

TIA,

Blackrobe

I second that. My brother is learning on his Lyman Trade rifle right now and hes using .495 and a .010 lubed patch. It works for him
I have only fired one shot out of mine so take that for what its worth.

i'm using a .490 with a .015 patch, loads easy and accuracy has been good. i will try the .495 for a little target work.

My Lyman flintlock takes a .490 and an 018 ticking patch and likes it.
I'm guessing the real answer will have to be based on trial and error on your part. :v

A .485 ball and enough patch to make it snug will shoot fine and load easy. If you need a short starter it's too tight.

Actually Halftail said it best. "The real answer will be with trial and error on your part." Each rifle has it's own characteristics and it's own load. The rifle will tell you what it likes.
Lyman rifles with their deeper rifling will generaly shoot the thicker patch better with enough ball (.490, .495 etc.) to make it snug in the barrel.
A good powder charge for a .50cal. will be in the area of 50gr.of 3F +or- for target and about 70 to 75gr. for long range and hunting.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I must agree w/ toomuch36.Each gun is a law into itself.I have a perc.GPR and the accompanying instructions recommended a .490 PRB w/ a .010 pillow ticking patck.I recieved excellent accuracy from her.I bought a GPP in .50 cal w/ the recommendations of a .495 PRB.I assumed the tighter load was to prevent a short start situation from being carried muzzle down all day in the fields.Why carry two size balls, say I?So I started carrying only .495's.My GPR handled them well enough,loading was not particularly difficult,so why[url] not.In[/url] fact, the tighted load should be more accurate...right?Not so.For some reason,it appears my GPR likes the .490.I intend to research this more in depth this spring an make sure my aging eyes are'nt the culprit,but these guns are wonderful,finiky ladies and we would'nt have it any other way.Best regards,J.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Blackrobe DeSmet :hatsoff: ,

I bought my Great Plains 50 cal percussion Left hander about
9-10 years ago and I've put a lot of lead and patches
through it. I've bet using .490 balls either self
cast from a Lee mould, cast balls from a possibles store
in Tipp City Ohio, and some Hornandy swaged round balls.
Patches have been mostly T/C .015 bore buttered
patches (I must have bought 15-20 packs plus a bunch
of bore butter and the Hornandys clearenced at WalMart after I bought the rifle).

I use Bore butter for the lube.

For powder I started with 3f Elephant and am now
using some kind of Chinese 3f powder that my brother-in-law
found on the net. I think our next powder purchase
will be either Goex or Kix.

This gun has been a good shooter out of the box. Usually when I shoot its strictly off-hand with just
once in a while bracing against a tree or laying prone. When I'm on a good day I can touch shots
on the target. If its a bad day, who knows.

In my time shotting this gun it has seemed to love
the T/C patches the best. I don't use a short starter.

I guess I've been kind of spoiled because the T/C
patches ran out back in November and I have been
trying other kinds.
It doesn't like the pillow ticking and is so-so on
the Ox-Yoke brand linen patches with the .010 so far
seeming to do.
In addition my 9 year old son just started shooting
a CVA Youth Model 50 cal so sharing on the patches
will help as his is a very tight barrel.

One of these days I'll round up the money to get a
flintlock (not sure what type yet), but when I do,
this Great Plains isn't going anywhere.

Keep your Powder Dry! :hatsoff:

THANK YOU!

Great 411 from some equally great folks here. I appreciate your input very much, and will likely get a box each of .490 and .495 balls, and .010 and .015 patches and work up the right combo.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back