• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

recipe for 56 cal smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangenh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for recipes for shot loads for a TC 56 cal. smoothbore, especially what type and size wads. Will 28 ga. wads fit correctly? I am looking for a squirrel hunting load.

28 gauge overshot, overpowder and fiber wads along with 1oz #5 shot and 70gr FFFg GOEX powder.

That will get you in the ballpark.

joel said:
I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for recipes for shot loads for a TC 56 cal. smoothbore, especially what type and size wads. Will 28 ga. wads fit correctly? I am looking for a squirrel hunting load.

As an alternative:

If Goex is not easily available, 80grns loose Pyrodex-RS (2F) also does fine, particularly since it's a caplock...CCI#11 Magnum caps worked best for me.

Two (or three) .58cal Oxyoke prelubed wonderwads

1+1/8oz #6's (or 5's)

.28ga x .030" Circle Fly over shot card

Enjoy!

Thanks for the help. I feel a lot better knowing the wads I order will fit when they get here. I am thinking about ordering a few different styles to see what works best. I didn't even think about 58 cal wonder wads. Thanks again.

I haven't tried the 28 gauge overshot card, but I have used the 24 gauge overshot card to give it a little tighter seal. The 28 gauge over powder, and wad fit perfectly.
Taylor in Texas

Please Roundball, don't be perpetuating the myth that you can't get Goex. Just google on Goex, or use the links page on this Index, and click on Goex website. The map gives the distributor for every state. Call the distributor and he will tell you where your nearest retail source is, or arrange to ship the powder to you direct. I will never understand how people who can use a computer well enough to get on this forum can't find a can of black powder!

Joel: If you check out the modern loadings for a 28 ga shotgun, you will find your loading data for you. The load suggested by Russian Blood is okay, but you can also back it down to 2 drams of powder, or 55 grains of black powder, and 5/8 oz. of shot for a light but tight patterning load. There will certainly be less recoil, although you should only feel a shove with the heavier load as it is. If you have never fired a 28 ga. shotgun, do so. You will like them. And your gun will give you similar performance. The 70 gr. charge is about 2.75 drams, and is a little heavy for most 28 ga. loadings. The modern load shoot either 5/8 oz, or 3/4 oz. in the 28 ga. If you are going to use #5, shot, however, I would recommend his load, as the shot has the mass to maintain downrange energy well and therefore kills well. The 1 oz. load also give you a few more pellets. This should kill birds out to 30 yds and a little more.

paulvallandigham said:
I will never understand how people who can use a computer well enough to get on this forum can't find a can of black powder!

I think you're response to the relatively new poster is negative and uncalled for.

This forum is a place for all people to ask questions and post opinions back...not a debating field, and certainly not a place for anyone to portray any sort of superior attitude and attack anyone else.

There are guidelines posted for use of the Forum...and the Administrator / Moderators may be contacted for assistance in locating and understanding them.

I agree, let's keep a friendly tone towards others, however, we are also aware of the fact that black powder is (in reality) getting harder to find unless you want to buy in bulk...

Those days of jotting down to the local hardware to pick up a can of FFg are almost gone for good...

Back to the topic at hand: recipe for 56 cal smoothbore

If the days of picking up a pound of black powder at the local hardware store, or gas station are gone, it is because we all stood by and did nothing. POGO was right. We have met the enemy, and he is us. There is nothing wrong with buying in bulk. It does probably require you to climb out of your closet, actually make an effort to meet other muzzle loading shooters, and then work with them to make that bulk purchase. But then, if you did that, there would be no reason for you to stand quietly by while your government takes away one right after the other, would there? I don't understand why administrators of this forum don't answer questions from new members by pointing them to the links for the information they require. I was not trying to insult anyone, RoundBall. I was trying to point out all the information that is at the tip of your fingers, if you have managed to get to this website. I happen to be very impressed by all that is offered.

paulvallandigham said:
There is nothing wrong with buying in bulk.
Many people can't afford to buy in bulk, even though it does save money, it still requires a lot of cash up front...

paulvallandigham said:
I don't understand why administrators of this forum don't answer questions from new members by pointing them to the links for the information they require.

We do this, but we don't see every post in real time, many times we get to these questions well after the fact...

Back