• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPP Stock Cracking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is the stock cracking on a Plains Pistol a common thing or is it 1 in a thousand? Is it more common w/ the .54 than the .50 cal? The reason I ask is because mine will be arriving next week and don't want to have bought a defective gun. I am getting the .54 so it will match my GPR deer gun. Did I mess up on the choice?
Thanks From WI

Stocks that bust are usualy that way from miss handling or poor grain alianment. I have had your gun types for a number of years now and have had no problems.
Bob

I have a .50 cal.GPP and have shot a maxload of 60 grains for years w/ ne'er ill effect.J.A.

You made a fine choice. I think enough of mine as to have written it up as "The Thinking Man's Caplock for GUNs Magazine.[url] http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_51/ai_n14936903[/url]
I choose not to load over 40 grains or the equivalent of substitute because of paranoia over the stock. Some people have had them split but as you see from the other posts, a great many people load them a good bit heavier and have no such problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great info I feel alot better. Hopefullu I won't get one of the stocks that Flaming Canvas gets that guy has some terrible luck. :haha:
Thanks
Joey in Wisconsin

I've split 3 or 4 of them. One after 7 shots.

Others just keep on shooting. Go figure

Any problem with Lyman replacing the stock? Asking because my arrives this coming Tuesday.

If mine were to crack, I think I'd just repair it with epoxy and then cover it with rawhide or sheet brass. It would look cool!

Lyman will replace the cracked stock granted the warranty period hasn't expired. I've purchased a number of already cracked, secondhand Lyman stocks and glued them back together, good as new.

flaming canvas said:
I've split 3 or 4 of them. One after 7 shots.

Others just keep on shooting. Go figure

I shoot 45 grains of fffg in my 50 Kentucky Pistol. All was fine until I hung it up by the grip for a few days, it cracked, I just keep shooting, like you said, go figure.

Back