• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What capper to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshepard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I foumd that the capper I used for a 1851 Colt doesn't work so well with my 1858 new army. Can someone tell me what you use?
Thanks

Hi gshepard. You didn't mention what type of capper you are using :confused: I use the Ted Cash capper with my Colts. I don't own an 1858 Remington, but my understanding is that you will have to use one of the in-line cappers designed for the Remington due to the taller shoulders surrounding the nipple area. They make a different capper for the Remingtons. Rick.

I'm using a CVA inline. Or I was, now I just put them on by hand.
One more thing, It seem every time I go to shoot one of the caps falls off. I'm using Remington, that all I can get without ordering. I didn't know if other brands are worth ordering.

Are the nipples for #10 or #11? Are you using the right one? Not trying to insult you but I know with the number of brain farts I have that it possible to mix them up. :shake:
WI

I'm using #10 and it seems to be the same one each time. I have ordered a pistol nipple wrench that comes with new nipples. I think replacing it will fix it.

Had to replace the nipple on my Great Plains Rifle with a Knight Red Hot nipple. Bought an extra to go on the Great Plains Pistol that will be arriving this week, will switch it out before the first hammer fall.
WI

Seemed to me that I was spending so much time lining the caps up properly that it was hardly worth it. Hey, I'm old & fumble-fingered, but it's easier for me just to stick 'em on by hand.

Howdy Folks,
If anyone comes up with a capper that works, for sure, PLEASE, post what it is. I have over 15 different makes and models that don't work, that people said would work. I shoot 1858s made by Euroarms, ASM, and Pietta and don't have a capper that will set a cap on the nipple then come off the cap. The slots in the cylinder are too narrow to let the fingers spred and release the cap. SO, if anyone comes up with one that really works, PLEASE, post it.
Thank You all very much,
Lee

LEE3370 said:
Howdy Folks,
If anyone comes up with a capper that works, for sure, PLEASE, post what it is. I have over 15 different makes and models that don't work, that people said would work. I shoot 1858s made by Euroarms, ASM, and Pietta and don't have a capper that will set a cap on the nipple then come off the cap. The slots in the cylinder are too narrow to let the fingers spred and release the cap. SO, if anyone comes up with one that really works, PLEASE, post it.
Thank You all very much,
Lee

Universal Straight Line Capper
By - Ted Cash
New design capper features heavy-weight body and double springs to insure firm griping of percussion caps Will reach nipples on all guns including the narrow Remington style revolvers.

Description Order No. Price Order Now
Universal Straight Line Capper
18-60
$10.50

Got mine from Possible Shop, works fine on my "58" Rem's

LEE3370 said:
Howdy Folks,
Thank You all very much,
Lee
No offence intended but I think your problem is more a matter of technique than equippment. After all, if "everyone else says they work" but don't work for you---.
I have for years used a Ted Cash kidney shaped capper with all my cap guns, rifle, shotgun and both Colt and Remington style revolvers with no problems. I press the cap onto the nipple and if the caps fit as tightly as they should then pull the capper off straight to the rear, not sideways. If caps come back off the nipple then they are not a proper fit anyway.
The thing I love about that capper is that it will hold a full box of caps and is easilly loaded by just dumping them in and shakking it gently and watch them all turn right side up (well almost all). The inline cappers that only hold a dozen or so caps and have to be loaded one at a time seem to me more bother than they are worth.

Hello,

The manual for my Uberti Colt's tells me to use the #10 caps. Do these cappers mentioned above work for #10 caps or just #11, or both? Thanks.

WI Smoke said:
Had to replace the nipple on my Great Plains Rifle with a Knight Red Hot nipple.

I tried a Knight Red Hot on my GPR, but
it's too tall (yes, I cranked it down
all the way), and the hammer won't land
on it right. It was (IIRC) about 2-3mm
longer than the stock nipple (measuring
from the top of the thread to the top of
the nipple, not the overall length).

Do you know if filing a nipple shorter
would likely cause problems? (Diameter
is not an issue; the caps set pretty
loosely on the Red Hot as it is, so
shortening it could actually improve
that situation as well.)

Dan

Thanks Joe,
I will get one of the Ted Cash brass snail cappers. I have 2 snail cappers, but they are Thompson Center plastic ones and have tryed to thin the nipple area so they would come off the cap, but no luck. But then it might be as you implied, I might just be stupid.
Thanks,
Lee

I certainly did not mean to imply any stupidity! I know that sometimes I get into a habit of doing something a certain way and then see someone doing it another way and say "well why didn't I think of that"!
I'm presently using #10 CCI's for my revolvers because some required that size so I just polished down the other nipples to make them all the same. Cash's cappers work fine with both sizes of CCI caps and OK with the Remingtons when I tried one box of them. :grin:

Sometimes I just go down by the stream but if grandma gets out fast enough I use the one behind the house with the moon on the door...WHAT? Oh you said capper!!
Bob :rotf:

Back