• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

signing the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the era. Signing by engraving is the norm. Stamps are 1820's and later for the most part and usually indicate a shop that is in production, not a solo maker.

You engrave you name on the top flat of the barrel near the breech end, by hand with a graver (hand tool), Not an electric engraver.

I guess hand-engraving your name is ok. But I have seen some otherwise might pretty rifles with names that looked like my kids' longhand when they were learning to write. :grin: I know a signature is important, but there's penmanship to consider as well.

RedFeather

Well, that is true. On the barrel is NOT the place to learn how to engrave your name, for sure...... :grin:

I engrave m name and date centered between the rear sight and the breech end of the barrel. The new millenium now, 20- my name - 06 readable from the lock side of the gun, all in script. .....George F.
P.S. that's about the extent of my engraving skills. I send the gun out to be engraved properly, seems I don't have the patience to learn how.

Just a thought, there are a couple of shops around here which do metal engraving with pantograph machines of script signatures & etc.

I have done mine on a pantograph in the past, but hope to do the next few by hand as I learn.

CS

Back