• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

moose milk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HERES A RECIPE ALOT OF US USE HERE IN WASHINGTON, GET A CLEAN 1 GALLON JUG, TO IT ADD; 1 CUP DISHWASHING LIQUID, I USE DAWN, 1 CUP MURPHYS OIL SOAP, 1 BOTTLE HOPPES#9 BORE CLEANER, TOP WITH WATER AND SHAKE, WORKS VERY WELL, I ALSO USE THIS TO LUBE MY DRY PATCHES, HELPS CLEAN YOUR BORE EVERY TIME YOU SEET A BALL AND MAKES CLEAN UP AFTER THE SHOOT QUICK AND EASY! GOOD LUCK!

Lazy man's (my :winking: ) way is to mix seven parts water to one part Ballistol. The stuff's water soluble and inexpensive, so it fills my bill just fine.

:thumbsup:

I use i part Murphys oil soap ,to 4 parts cheap window washer fluid ,the kind you use in a car,costs about about $1.25 per gallon.Works great.A lot of shooters add other stuff,like a couple of oz. of simple green ,a little more alcohol,ect..It all works and everyone swears their concoction is the best.

:bow: I use the "old" version of Moose Milk which is a 90:10 mix of water: water soluble machine oil + a shot of dish detergent such as Dawn. :hatsoff:

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Here's the likk nto Stump's Moose Milk[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/124344/[/url]
Try it You'll like it Also you might search the forum for his snot recipe also. I whole hardetly recommend them.

There are a lot of recipes for moosemilk and they all work pretty well, or they wouldn't still be around. I agree with Bill about Stumpkiller's recipes for moosemilk and the moose snot grease type lube. They are both excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one know the formula for BLACK SOLVE? The stuff comes in a small container at $4.25 and you mix it with water. The stuff must have a simple receipe.

Cansema Black Salve

Ingredients: zinc chloride (Cl2Zn), NDGA (nordihydrogauaretic acid, from Larrea mexicata), bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis); galangal root (Alpinia officinarium) or ginger root (Zingiber officinale); graviola leaf (Annona muricata), bitter melon seed (Momordica charantia), and glycerine (used as a humectant, to keep the product moist).

Just like Momma used to make. :haha:

And my Momma-in-law, being a proper Welch/Pennsylvanian from the mines, always kept Icthammol (Black) drawing salve on hand for wounds (One for a man, two for a horse)

The main shale processing product is ICHTHAMMOL, which is widely used in pharmaceutical industry and veterinary.

Synonyms: Sulfichton, Ichtyol, Ammonium Sulfoichthyolicum, Ammonium Ichthosulphonate, Bitaminolum, Bithiolum, Ichtam, Ichthyolum, Ichthyolammonium, Ichtyopan, Ichtyosulfol, Isarol.

Ichthammol is a mixture of the ammonium salts of the sulphonic acids, obtained by distillation from certain bituminous schists, sulphonation of the distillate and neutralization of the product with ammonia.

Ichthammol is a dense, blackish - brown liquid with peculiar odor, miscible with water and with glicerol, slightly soluble in alcohol, in ether, in fatty oils and in liquid paraffin.

Quality characteristics of the product:

1. The test for authenticity - maintains.
2. The test for cleanliness - maintains.
3. Solubility in water - complete.
4. Loss on drying - not more than 46%.
5. For sulfur in the form of sulfates - 2,3%.
6. The contents of general (common) sulfur - not less than 14%.
7. Assay for organically combined sulfur - not less than 10,5%.
8. The contents of ashes - not more than 0,3%.

Ichthammol output is according to pharmacopoeia articles FSP 42-0423-2957-02 (Russia), BP-98 (UK), USP 26 (USA).

Ichthammol is a medical preparation tested practically by ten years, with antiflammatory, local anaesthetic, antiseptic, antifermeting action. The given preparation is believed to antimicrobe, antiparasitic, antiseptic medical remedy.

Ichthammol is used for medical treatment of:

Skin diseases (burns, infectious burns, burn disease, erysipelas, eczema, etc.)
Rp: Ichthyoli 5,0
Vaselini
Lanolini aa 25,0
M.f. ung.
D.S. ointment (by eczema)

Neuralgia, arthritis etc.
Rp.: Ichthyoli 10,0
Acidi salicylici 5,0
Ol. Terebinthinae 10,0
Lanolini 100,0
M.f. ung.
D.S. ointment (embarkation by arthritis)

Diseases of pelvis organs (metrit, parametrit, salpyngit, prostatate)
Rp.: Suppos. cum Ichthyolo 0,2 N. 10 D.S. 1 suppository into rectum (by prostatate)
Tampons may be used, moistened with 10% of glycerin sulfichtone solution.

bowels and stomach diseases (Ichthammol is used as suppository with 0,2 g Ichthammol content);

women diseases (by inflammatory process it is used as muscle injection - 1-2% solutions and as tampons, moistened with 10% of glycerin sulfichtone solution);
Ichthammol is uses for preparing the following medicines:

Pasta Zinci-naphthalani-ichthyolata
Composition: 25 parts of zinc; 10 p. of Ichthammol; 40 p. of naphthalene ointment; 25 p. of starch;

Ichthammol ointment with 10% content and with 20% content on vaseline;

Suppository with sulfichtone
Composition: 0,2 g of Ichthammol; 1,2 g of suppository base.

Tried some of those suppositorys once, for all the good they did me I might as well have shoved them up my beach loading orifice :rotf:

Back