• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New England Fowler - Opinions Welcome!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro

Reaction score
Hallo! Hope everyone's doin' well this holiday weekend!

I'm considering buying this smoothbore... after looking over some of the guns in Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers", it seems to me to be representing a New England (Connecticut/Massachusetts?) fowler, ca. 1770 (+-).

The barrel is a 46" octagon to round .62 caliber(Colerain I think) with an aged finish.

I'm trying to center my equipment around a 1770 time frame. I'm thinking of replacing my very "generic" "American" fowler with something more representative of that period. Do you think that the lock and the furniture is in keeping with the stock profile? The lock is an L&R - is it too "English" for a CT fowler? How about the trigger guard - it's not an acorn! :winking: - but is it appropriate? Do you think that $1300 is a little too steep for this used gun? I'm not going to say who the builder is so as not to start any controversies, but please give your comments and criticisms - my feelings won't be hurt (I haven't bought it yet!) - actually, I'd appreciate your honesty!

:hatsoff: Happy New Year, everyone!

ctfowler%20006.jpg

ctfowler%20003.jpg

ctfowler%20002.jpg

ctfowler%20012.jpg

ctfowler%20009.jpg

ctfowler%20014.jpg

ctfowler%20008.jpg

Looks well-priced to me. There are features or preferences someone may want, but can't have at anywhere near that price. The L and R lock is appropriate for a New England fowler. The curvature of the buttstock on this one is pretty noticeable and for all I know that amount of curvature may be more common in the 1780's. It may "rare back a bit" with a heavy load. If all that's fine with you, I'd consider it seriously.

From the photos, it appears to be a very nice piece.
One thing that I noticed, did you check the ramrod to see whether it is long enough to use? The stock under the lock seems to be quite thin, and I am wondering if the ramrod channel is drilled far enough to accept a full ramrod.
Just an observation, mind you. The gun looks well made.

Interesting looking piece, the brass engraving is unusual too. The triggerguard seems like the "potted fern" style the French initiated and which the Brits then copied about mid-century. There has been some discussion concerning the so-called "Queen Anne" style lock in another thread. No disrepect to those participating, but some of the "assertions" made therein are fairly specious. For me, it passes as highly representative of a mid to late 18th century fowler lock in the English style. Nailing stuff down to a specific decade in a particular region is way harder than most folks think. After 12 years of museum association I can say that with confidence.

I'm a cheapskate, so $1300 puts me off a bit. But if you have a "known" maker and the condition is as it appears, it may be a good value. I kinda like it, but I can't really see the overall wood quality that well in those images either. Bon chance !

Looks bloody well fine to this pilgrim. I would like to give it a go birding.

Which reminds me, I have got to get my hunting lic renewed for 06, the ground runner quail (Gambel's) season is still open until February 6th here in AZ.

I think it is a very nice looking gun, I feel that it may be of a style of a later period (1780's) and if so would likely have a later period lock unless an older type was in good shape and reused which was not uncommon, the general architecture just seems later to me but Americam fowlers are not something I have spent a great deal of time on, there will likely be more comments from more knowledgeble folks to follow.

First off, $1300 is a steal for that gun. It looks well put together. I'd want to pick it up and shoulder it a few times to see how bad of an "apple" that comb was going to raise on my cheek bone.... :hmm:
The lock is OK for 1770, Just checked out Glenslade's book and there were some bridled locks in the 1770 period. The french trigger guard is appropriate too. The botom line of the buttstock is a little too radical for me, but it's really not out of place when you look at Glenslade's book. Just a personal preference thing. :redface:
The only thing that really jerks my chain about this gun is the overall color. I know it represents and aged finish, but I'd like to see the dark areas darker , and a red or red/yellow base to the worn areas instead of that wishy washy light brown color... I hate that light brown color :cursing: . That color always reminds me of Kmart CVA guns....There again, just a personal preferance thing, others may LOVE that color. :)
I'd buy the gun and do some doctoring on the color and finish. :thumbsup:

I really like it. It seems like a good buy. I do like the way Mike Brooks finishes his guns too.

Nice piece, nice overall finish.
There is no way that anyone can say this is not a good buy.
It's a very original custom gun with probably $700 to $900 worth of parts selling for $1300. As a builder, it really urks me when someone says that any custom gun can be built and sold for $400 to $600 over the price of the parts.

OK, I admit, I've seen some that the sum of the parts WAS worth more than the whole. But not in this case.

I agree that this is a nice gun and well worth the price.My only problem is a personal one in that while the butt is historically authentic{there I didn't use "PC"}, I prefer a straighter butt.
Tom Patton

" As a builder, it really urks me when someone says that any custom gun can be built and sold for $400 to $600 over the price of the parts"

I think a buyer rather than a builder was doing the math on that one...unless they were dog dollars where one = 7 real dollars

I agree with everything Mike says, especially that Dog Poop brown finish. Kinda like a classic Jaguar with a $39.95 Earl Schieb paint job. It just does'nt get it. I'd get it and do what Mike recommends. An Aqua Fortis, red, or honey maple stain will do it wonders. Plus with the aging on the barrel, the brass and lock need to be aged a bit or the barrel cleaned up, they're just outa sync for appearance sake in my perspective. That's my two pence worth :haha: Bill

Back