• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Package recieved, what would you do ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree too. I posted in part to confirm my own instincts. Maybe he had a bad day, regardless the packing was sub par. Interestingly, his feedback rating at present is 100%.
I judge feedback to be mostly correct if there's at least 50 people providing the feedback any less and 100% feedback could be contrived. I also read the feedback comments particularly and negative feedback to get at least some idea as to whether the feedback is valid or bogus.
Don't just trust feedback implicitly, it's too easily manipulated in smaller numbers.

You dock the guy on his feedback and he'll just retaliate. If the gun was not damaged during transit, then the packaging, bad as it was, did its job. Message the seller with photos, and suggest he do a better packing job from here on out.

I bought a beautiful, unfired Remington Model 720 years ago. It had the original mint box with it, with all literature and tags. The seller used the box for shipping, covering that perfect 1942 carton with modern shipping tape. The bolt got loose in the box and deeply scored the rifle's stock, which otherwise looked new. I couldn't believe it. I dinged the guy on his seller feedback, hard, and returned the gun, properly packed this time.

I'm coming down on the side of the consensus on this one. If he had responded to the initial communication (i.e. "sorry about the cheap box, but [insert excuse here]), then i'd be much more hesitant, and i might let it go.

But he 'blew you off,' as nearly as i can tell.

So let the next guy know to go in "with eyes wide open."

A curmudgeon's opinion... free and no doubt well worth the price.

This reminds me of a long rifle I bought from a large gun shop in NC. It came with the hammer sticking out of the box, and there was zero packing. They just tossed it into an empty box, and here ya go. I just laughed in disbelief

This reminds me of a long rifle I bought from a large gun shop in NC. It came with the hammer sticking out of the box, and there was zero packing. They just tossed it into an empty box, and here ya go. I just laughed in disbelief
Yep. I had a C&R license for a while. I had that happen with two different vendors. They just rattled around in the box. Not a scrap of paper for padding.

Packaging is designed to get the product to the purchaser in one piece. If it does that, then it worked as designed. It is not meant to be reusable except in rare cases. I got my first Stanley #7 (big, heavy, long, steel handplane, Jeff) from a guy in NH in an ebay auction. He tossed it in a hand made carboard box and shipped it to Texas. When it got here, one end had been ripped off, and there were three threads left of the single piece of fiberglass tape he used on the torn end keeping keeping that plane in the box. It arrived undamaged, so technically the packaging was adequate. I did take pictures and sent them to the seller and raised hell about his slipshod work. Never bought from him again.

If the gun arrived in good condition even though the packaging was poor I would thank my lucky stars and let it go. The condition of the gun is the only thing that really matters.

I have found when doing business with folk we often take it for granted that they will be a conscientious on the deal as we would. This is a BIG mistake when dealing with John Q Public, you have to lay down some ground rules ahead of time to make sure things are done to your satisfaction.

If the gun arrived in good condition even though the packaging was poor I would thank my lucky stars and let it go. The condition of the gun is the only thing that really matters.

I have found when doing business with folk we often take it for granted that they will be a conscientious on the deal as we would. This is a BIG mistake when dealing with John Q Public, you have to lay down some ground rules ahead of time to make sure things are done to your satisfaction.
I don't agree. another potential buyer needs to know about the poor communication and the poor packaging. Okay so it arrived in great shape. and again no I do not agree that the only thing that matters is that it arrives in great shape. I think that is a secondary issue at this point. I don't know about you but I depend on feedback before I make a decision to buy from somebody. And I think most of us do depend on that feedback rating.

Mods, if this isn't the right place for this post by all means do move it.

Recently I bought a nice percussion pistol that captured my eye at a known gun auction website. The buyer had good feedback from other buyers, the price was right and I pulled the trigger so to speak, using Buy It Now.
It arrived today and though it survived intact ( I haven't yet done an in depth inspection ) please take a look at the pictures below. The 'shipping container' was very light and pre-used cardboard, the pistol tucked among the meat wrapping paper inside the box. It appears that the weight of the pistol was enough to tear open the box on both sides, how it didn't drop out entirely I don't know.
It dosen't appear the package was mishandled by UPS. Rather, the packing was the flimsiest I've ever seen, clearly insufficient and it's obvious the Seller made no effort in packing/ shipping properly.

My question is this- would you leave negative feedback for this transaction ? Or simply never deal with them again ? Throughout my years shipping/ recieivng packages I generally don't leave negative feedback where there is feedback to leave, this for a number of reasons. Chief amoung them is not wanting to enflame the situation further or generate hostility. Life is short after all.

Worth mentioning; none of my 3 messages beyond my initial purchase inquiry were ever returned. I thought it extremely poor communication but left it at that. This transaction has a feedback component. Woud you leave feedback, or none at all ?

fO0IZIgh.jpg

iIkQ8iRh.jpg

o1iG3H9h.jpg
I'd give them an opportunity to make it right first. I'm imagining the floor managers "neir do well" nephews first day on the job thinking he nailed it! After that? Have at it! Lay into them with all abandoned and gusto, show no quarter where none was given, from the depths of hell ,stab at thee! Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. .......I think you catch my drift....

That's what feedback is for. If I was dissatisfied with a particular product, I'd let the seller know. It may not help your situation but at least other people will know what you went through. Maybe the seller will conduct business a bit differently and for the better.
Absolutely leave feedback. Do your fellow customers a favor. Silence in the face bad service accomplishes nothing.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this topic, all opinions were welcome and very much appreciated. Most of the suggestions made sense to me and were helpful, I will now take the appropriate action regarding my trnasaction.\

As mentioned the gun arrived in undamaged condition and I've decided to keep it. I've always wanted a third model Colt Dragoon revolver ( the one with the leaf rear sight and shoulder stock cut out ) and this one will make a dandy shooter. The only thing I'n not pleased with is a too stiff hammer/ main spring.

Aplogies for the lack of additional pics, my old 35mm Nikon has seen its last rodeo. I will however post pics of the gun in another thread including the belt and holster that came with it! As it happens my daughter has been trying to buy me a new camera for the last 4yrs so Best Buy here we come.

Anyway I feel like this thread has run its course, many of the replies really were very helpful and I'm appreciative of them all.

Mods please lock this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back