• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsalt444

32 Cal
Reaction score
Finally got this from MidwayUSA. Shooting it was a unique experience for me, given I'm a beginner with smoke poles. Seems very well built, rugged and good looking to boot. Using the Uberti recommended loads of 30 gr. 3F with RB and 25 gr. with conicals, I was getting 4" groups at 50 yd with conicals but twice that with RB. Definitely wear full wrap around style eye protection, not the period correct Harry Potter style. The caps are close to your face and I would feel a very slight sting on my face when firing. This is from the priming compound bouncing back off the nipple flange. Recoil is mild. They recommend holding both hands behind the cylinder in case of chain fire. Not sure how that would happen with a grease cookie under the bullet, but you never know. With low bullet strikes, it looks like I'll have to file down the front sight just a hair. I maxxed out the elevation adjustment just to get a 50 yard zero with conicals. My next step is to get the cylinder conversion for 45 Colt with handloads no greater than 12,000 PSI. I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this gun.

We do not discuss conversion cylinders on the Muzzleloading Forum.
I've heard you say that before. Is this forum so elitist that we don't even dare to talk about brass cases, even if they're filled with black powder? We talk about revolvers, some of which were converted back in the day. Not trying to be flippant here, but I have a hard time understanding this logic.

Not elitist, just the time period covered by this forum. Brass cartridges were not in use in revolvers through the civil war.

Finally got this from MidwayUSA. Shooting it was a unique experience for me, given I'm a beginner with smoke poles. Seems very well built, rugged and good looking to boot. Using the Uberti recommended loads of 30 gr. 3F with RB and 25 gr. with conicals, I was getting 4" groups at 50 yd with conicals but twice that with RB. Definitely wear full wrap around style eye protection, not the period correct Harry Potter style. The caps are close to your face and I would feel a very slight sting on my face when firing. This is from the priming compound bouncing back off the nipple flange. Recoil is mild. They recommend holding both hands behind the cylinder in case of chain fire. Not sure how that would happen with a grease cookie under the bullet, but you never know. With low bullet strikes, it looks like I'll have to file down the front sight just a hair. I maxxed out the elevation adjustment just to get a 50 yard zero with conicals. My next step is to get the cylinder conversion for 45 Colt with handloads no greater than 12,000 PSI. I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this gun.
I’d like to hear your results at 25 yards next time you go testing it out. With round balls of course not cartridges lol.

It's also muzzleloadingforum.com. Kinda in the name.

Really isn't a matter of being 'elitist' either. This forum has a focus on a specific subject and plans to keep it that way from what I can see. Rules are simple enough to read and understand, no sense in stretching it outside of the lines that they have set.

There are plenty of other forum choices out there that would be much better suited to helping you with what you need. Dig around and see what you can find!

Best of luck and be safe.

I've heard you say that before. Is this forum so elitist that we don't even dare to talk about brass cases, even if they're filled with black powder? We talk about revolvers, some of which were converted back in the day. Not trying to be flippant here, but I have a hard time understanding this logic.
Please read the following forum rules:

8: Although not muzzleloaders, we do allow discussions of percussion revolvers.

9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule.

10: We do not discuss conversion cylinders or anything to do with metal cartridges.

There is an exception to the discussion of metal cartridges in the rules. It is OK to talk about them IF the cartridges do not contain any form of priming device. This exception is covered at the end of the Rules section.

Here is a link to the rest of the rules:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

So you heard the moderator say this before and you just ignore it because you don't like it?
Why don't you try reading the rules in the forum announcements section at the top of the forums?
So that's where the rules are hidden. I tried finding them before. BTW, It's not about me not liking anything, it just seemed like a relevant option for a nice BP gun. We like options, don't we? Like I said before, not trying to be flippant, just trying to get a handle on this, so stop beating me up for a simple mistake. I never intended to share cartridge load data and other specs, just mentioning an option. There's nothing wrong with that.

Oldsalt444, I’m anxious to hear more about your rifle since we have the cartridge issue out of the way. Also, welcome to the forum and we are really a friendly bunch even though about half of us can also be curmudgeons at times. Myself included.

I’ve always been fascinated by the revolving rifles. Tell us more and we really need a picture.

I enjoy shooting the lee conical in my Remington revolving carbine which was not made until 1866 originally. There is also a 250 gr cast bullet mold out there which will work as well. You will also find that the wafer vegetable wads to be of help shooting the conical bullets. You can still crisco up the front of the cylinder which helps more to keep the barrel fouling soft. You will be impressed how well it will drop slugs into a target at 200 yards.

Oldsalt444, I’m anxious to hear more about your rifle since we have the cartridge issue out of the way. Also, welcome to the forum and we are really a friendly bunch even though about half of us can also be curmudgeons at times. Myself included.

I’ve always been fascinated by the revolving rifles. Tell us more and we really need a picture.
Glad to hear that. I was wondering if someone was interested in a cool rifle. I'll try to get some pictures for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another range day. My carbine is shown with an unmentionable accessory. She's a beaut! Those Italians love to make their stuff all dolled up and sexy. I was surprised by the lousy 50 yard group with the conicals. Last time out, they were much smaller than the RB groups. I used ox yoke lubed wads, so I don't think leading was the problem but I could be wrong. The trigger is great with a crisp 3.5 lb. break. Being a bullseye pistol competitor, I always look for accuracy. I'm not particularly impressed with this accuracy in the photo, but then I'm used to sub 2" handguns at 50 yards. Am I expecting too much? Should I find a better load? Probably. But this is a real hoot.
20200911_104057.jpg
20200911_120127.jpg

I checked the bore dimension and the cylinder throats. Using dial calipers (while not ideal but close enough) the bore runs about .452". However, the throats ran .448" and one was .445" Not conducive to accuracy. You want the throats at least as large as the bore if not a bit larger. At least that's my experience with smokeless revolvers. Or is it different with black powder?

That group in the pic using round balls is a pretty good group at 50 yards. We’re you shooting offhand or from a bench? Do the .451s shave a ring of lead when you seat them in the chambers?

That group in the pic using round balls is a pretty good group at 50 yards. We’re you shooting offhand or from a bench? Do the .451s shave a ring of lead when you seat them in the chambers?
It was shot from a rest on a bench. Yes, there was a ring most of the time.

Back