• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Capper anyone ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a Frankenstein. This was first build about 45 years ago. It started as a euroarms Kentucky rifle kit With a one piece stock that I never got the accuracy I wanted from the rifle. I decided to order a premium 45 caliber barrel from Dixie gun works. When I got the barrel it was a little short so I had To reduce the stock I little. It the process I decided to make it a half stock rifle so more parts from Dixie. Anyway I reworked the lock until it had a crisp let off. Put it all back together and it is more accurate the I could hope for.
Nice. I asked because the cap box/patchbox on it (and the hammer) looked similar to my Intercontinental Arms (Italian-made) .44 caliber “Kentuckian” made in 1967. It is the middle rifle in the pics below.

Attachments

• ECA93919-071F-46BD-A024-8C33811ED73C.jpeg
    ECA93919-071F-46BD-A024-8C33811ED73C.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 049935B9-553D-40E5-81AB-2632F85A07CA.jpeg
    049935B9-553D-40E5-81AB-2632F85A07CA.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 968D33AC-7649-498C-ADB7-01E7FE5ACA6C.jpeg
    968D33AC-7649-498C-ADB7-01E7FE5ACA6C.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 104
Hm, @toot, I only spent 5 years at engineering school and maybe I missed something in my math classes. How can a capper that holds 10 caps be used for two ten shot groups? Typo? I haven't had much luck reusing caps.
it is rely hard to do, but with a little patience you can do it. cap & shoot them very slow. but you will have to load it twice. yes a senior moment & I mean senior!!

Nice. I asked because the cap box/patchbox on it (and the hammer) looked similar to my Intercontinental Arms (Italian-made) .44 caliber “Kentuckian” made in 1967. It is the middle rifle in the pics below.

If I recall correctly I got the original rifle in 75ish as a kit. I reused the original lock, hammer and stock so I suspect it was the same model. I had to weld a filler into the lock plate to get a better fit for the replacement bolster. I also have the same Factory finished Kentuckian rifle You have except it’s a flintlock. I pick it up on a whim a year or so but haven’t shot it yet. It has the same rough cut bore and shallow rifling that was on the percussion rifle I got in 75. Guess I should shoot it soon, it may perform better then I expect.

I bought a cheap straight line capper years ago, it was awful, flimsy, and dumped caps on the ground. I was hunting and after trying to cap my rifle gave it a hard toss...its probably still there near Jacksboro if you want it.

After reading VM Starr I took his advice and emptied a front pants pocket of all its lint and dropped about 40 caps in it. After a day of hunting and shooting they still worked fine and when I got home I put them into a tin, segregating them.

Although I like to buy American, that Polish capper looks really well built. Several friends use the Ted Cash capper and like them, I've used a borrowed one a few times shooting trap.

Well I decided to buy a Polish Capper and it works way better than my straight line cappers. Easy to fill and dispenses caps easily. Overall after a couple of shooting sessions I am very pleased with it.

What online vendor did you pick it up from?

The transaction is very easy, shipping time is slow specially now with the virus. International shipping and mail has slowed to a crawl. He is a good person with a quality product and you can order from him without worries. I bought one of the very first ones shipped to the U.S. He ships from his home in the burbs north of Warsaw.

https://www.polishcappers.com/

Well I decided to buy a Polish Capper and it works way better than my straight line cappers. Easy to fill and dispenses caps easily. Overall after a couple of shooting sessions I am very pleased with it.
are they still offered for sale? and if so where? thank's.

do you use the wooden, / horn, measure, that is hanging for both powder and shot, for a SQURE LOAD? and what is the square load if I may ask?

do you use the wooden, / horn, measure, that is hanging for both powder and shot, for a SQURE LOAD? and what is the square load if I may ask?

That’s the measure for the rifled barrel. Once I developed a load for the 20 gauge barrel I’ll attach the measure/s for that to the shot bag and leave the rifle measure on the shooting bag. I typically do that for my smoothbores so if I’m shooting ball I just take the hunting bag but if shooting shot when I take the shot bag it has the measures attached already. I rarely shoot a square load. Usually I end up with a load that is less powder, more shot.

When I use a cap lock, I made a cap holder from a piece of leather about 3 in. long and a inch wide took a leather punch punched holes in this that would hold a percussion cap firm all I have to do is place the cap on the nipple hold my thumb over the cap and lift the leather holder. This works fine for the rifles but due to the size I do not think it would work very well for a revolver.

That’s the measure for the rifled barrel. Once I developed a load for the 20 gauge barrel I’ll attach the measure/s for that to the shot bag and leave the rifle measure on the shooting bag. I typically do that for my smoothbores so if I’m shooting ball I just take the hunting bag but if shooting shot when I take the shot bag it has the measures attached already. I rarely shoot a square load. Usually I end up with a load that is less powder, more shot.
thank you so much.

I use a straight line capper on a revolver but otherwise use leather cappers that i make myself. Just about any piece of leather will work. The one in the picture is made from a preformed piece of leather. Tandy sells them in a bag of eight or ten. With that and a 5/32 punch also available at Tandy you can make more of these than you will ever need. I put the capper and a measure on a piece of leather lace and hang it around my neck for hunting, plinking or match shooting. If hunting and the weather turns bad it goes into a pocket or the bag.

20200912_073820_copy_800x1066.jpg
20200912_073833_copy_800x600.jpg

Latest posts

Back