• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally back to patched round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could the rule change be because of the modern inlines shooting a sabot bullet in some way? Just can't see .010 in size of a round ball making ANY difference in its effectiveness on an elk or moose or deer or.......

It makes a difference NOW because they got book smart and figured out a 50cal patched round ball is actually a 49caliber projectile and all rules for the past 20 + years ive been muzzleloading, stated, must be a minimum caliber of 50cal for elk and moose. Then 2018 rolls around and Mr pencil pusher comes along and say... Hey! thats not a real 50cal! its under sized by .005 - .010"!! RULE CHANGE!!

Current rules.
ball%2Blimit.jpg

For what it's worth according to my roundball ballistics calculator program a .490 diameter lead roundball weighs 176.5 grains.
Based on this, a .490 diameter roundball meets the "170 grains" requirement in the regulations quoted above so, I say the use of a .490 diameter ball in a .50 caliber rifle should be considered legal.

All very interesting. It would seem to me that those who write the regulations ought to be in closer consultation with experts who know the true capabilities and limitations of the equipment. Hopefully, Frontier's and his dad will bag their elk with their newly refurbished rifles, and all will be well.

I'm sorry to get off topic, but I have a question for the OP. Post #13 shows a rifle and some equipment, including this axe:

Frontiers.jpg

I would like to know who made the axe, and where its owner got it. This tomahawk more closely resembles the old-time trade axes than any of the current crop of "throwing hawks" I have seen. The handle also appears realistically sized for a decent grip, unlike the "throwing hawk" handles that are designed to slip out of your hand. I would be pleased to get an axe just like this one. I sent the OP a private message, but maybe he didn't receive or see it.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob

For what it's worth according to my roundball ballistics calculator program a .490 diameter lead roundball weighs 176.5 grains.
Based on this, a .490 diameter roundball meets the "170 grains" requirement in the regulations quoted above so, I say the use of a .490 diameter ball in a .50 caliber rifle should be considered legal.

The 170 minimum for 50 and less down to 40 caliber has been in place for a long while. It's specifically ok for hunting deer, antelope and bear. No mention of lions! They are often shot out trees with 22 calibers.

Could the rule change be because of the modern inlines shooting a sabot bullet in some way? Just can't see .010 in size of a round ball making ANY difference in its effectiveness on an elk or moose or deer or.......

No, regulations for the muzzleloader season prohibit sabots, pellets, optics and electronics. Those things are ok if using a ml during a modern rifle season. So, guns shooting a 50 projectile of at least 210 grains are acceptable for elk and moose.

All very interesting. It would seem to me that those who write the regulations ought to be in closer consultation with experts who know the true capabilities and limitations of the equipment. Hopefully, Frontier's and his dad will bag their elk with their newly refurbished rifles, and all will be well.

I'm sorry to get off topic, but I have a question for the OP. Post #13 shows a rifle and some equipment, including this axe:

View attachment 42232

I would like to know who made the axe, and where its owner got it. This tomahawk more closely resembles the old-time trade axes than any of the current crop of "throwing hawks" I have seen. The handle also appears realistically sized for a decent grip, unlike the "throwing hawk" handles that are designed to slip out of your hand. I would be pleased to get an axe just like this one. I sent the OP a private message, but maybe he didn't receive or see it.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
Bob, that was made by a fellow out of Hobbs NM. He goes to the santa fe trail rendezvous and he is the maker. I did some trading a few years ago and picked it up. Its not a traditional lightweight throwing tomahawk by any means. I use it for both a camp ax as well as throwing in the competitions.

Bob, that was made by a fellow out of Hobbs NM. He goes to the santa fe trail rendezvous and he is the maker. I did some trading a few years ago and picked it up. Its not a traditional lightweight throwing tomahawk by any means. I use it for both a camp ax as well as throwing in the competitions.
Thank you for the information, Frontier's. I'll see if I can track him down.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back