• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you recommend for storage of bags ,horns etc? I'm not sure which is best.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank,s for the reply. I will check it out,as I have to go there to get a light fixture, toot.

Toot, here's what I did with most of that fencing (the fencing itself is actually about 50 years old). My wife got the wall she wanted in her mudroom and I got the leftover for my display. The other walls you see are shiplap board. You can get it in all sorts of colorizations including with a nice weathered look as said above.

IMG_0172.JPG

Thanks Smoke. You know what’s funny? Almost my most prized possession in this whole display is the black rifle poking straight out of the wall just below the hunting sword. It’s a solid brass 18th century gunsmith’s shingle hanger. It was hung above or next to the door of an urban gunsmith’s shop with two chains that hung from the sling and held the business sign. c1770. Perhaps English. Still has the nubs where the chains hung. (The sling is also solid brass). I’ve never seen another one.

View attachment 42187
Way cool

Toot, here's what I did with most of that fencing (the fencing itself is actually about 50 years old). My wife got the wall she wanted in her mudroom and I got the leftover for my display. The other walls you see are shiplap board. You can get it in all sorts of colorizations including with a nice weathered look as said above.

View attachment 42337
I was a carpenter 19 years, from 16 years old to 34. The mud room is very cool and the ceiling. is the ceiling tile the old tin type or the new? I like the floor as well. Great job!

Thanks! It’s tin yeah. A real pain to put up but it looks awesome.
Yes it does, looks very awesome. And I bet it was very, very tedious to install, lol, but worth every hour. I'm planning re do all my bedroom and bathroom walls with some type of boards. We just put down some very decent water proof floor throughout the entire house. It is a plastic type of planking that looks very old and rustic, with scatches and wood grain. They did an awesome job installing it and it actually looks like an old rustic darker colored floor similar to your wall. I'm thinking really hard about getting rough sawed 1 x6 or 1 x8, rent a electric planner and put that on my walls.

Last edited:
Store your horns long-term sealed in plastic - those vacuum sealing clothes bage are appropriate. The idea is to completely isolate the horn from the outside world. I haea a horn I made in 1970 in High School. It's nothing fancy, but it was my first and I was proud of it. It was put into stoage for many years, and when I retrieved it, it was chewed up by larvae from something related to tiny flour beetles. I can repair it by filling the damage with tinted epoxy, then refinishing it. It is a plain horn, but if it had any scrimshaw or carving, restoring it would be a monumental task.
Cedar shavings works really well.

Back