• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spanish Miquelet Lock - New Addition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that some locks don’t have enough mainspring in the rear to clamp to... more thinking 🤔

Hi Bill

Glad to here it was helpful. It's the only information I've been able to locate on these vises over the many years. You just have to know at some point these vises were in old shop drawers all over the Spanish/Portuguese Continent. But it's likely no one knew what they were used for. So they were discarded. LOL Too bad.

Rick

Hi Sam

Well, it looks like you have a good start. At least you have something that works in your case. But you're correct that some locks (most) don't have enough exposed tail on the mainspring to attach a vise from the rear. And many of the locks (both Spanish and Ottoman styles) have a bridge/fence extending from the pan/frizzen back to the hammer which has to be removed first just to get access to the mainspring. But that's another, less challenging question.
It's all a bit complicated. LOL But it would appear to be that the vises only differ in the length of the lower arm with the hook to accommodate different size locks. Here is a crude drawing I did. Don't know if this is possible? I'll ask my guy that's going to make one or more for me. Hmmmm.

Rick

Attachments

• doc01831820200909085228.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 104
Progress!

Attachments

• 35A5707F-C406-492E-A052-9BC2E107ABBE.jpeg
    35A5707F-C406-492E-A052-9BC2E107ABBE.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 82
Another

Attachments

• 2B375E1A-CC09-4A96-ABC6-025BA215521B.jpeg
    2B375E1A-CC09-4A96-ABC6-025BA215521B.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 85
And finally... I think different hardwood spacers to fit the lower jaw that hooks under the lock plate will be the way to go.

Attachments

• 543A1C84-A10D-47B0-B1BD-18D1382790DC.jpeg
    543A1C84-A10D-47B0-B1BD-18D1382790DC.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 96
Different spacers custom fit from hardwood to fit the lock plate will be more secure, and get the thumbscrew low enough to let the cock down enough to let tension off the spring.thats my main problem, my prototype would not let the cock forward far enough.i have a Albanian miquelet flintlock, I just modified a old set of hog ring pliers to squeeze the mainspring down . I’ll post a picture later.

Adjustable arms on the clamp may not be sturdy enough to handle the strain on a strong mainspring. I think simpler is better on my example. I’m an expert on simple, ask my wife.....

Hi Sam

Great work !!! And the hardwood spacers is a good idea. And I agree, an "adjustable" bottom leg would probably require the use of flat metal which would't be rigid enough. But you are definitely on the right track. In a sense, these vises seem like they would be easier to make than the vises for their flintlock counterparts (?). They are just different.
There are a number of vise makers today. But I guess they figure the market for miquelet locks is very limited comparatively. But over the years, I have spoken to shooters/collectors that would like to disassemble original locks for proper cleaning. So there is likely a market for these vises for one maker anyway.
The mainsprings on miquelets tend to be stronger than on flintlocks. And the Ottoman/Balkan variety double that.
Does your Albanian lock look similar to this one ? Notice the curve of the mainspring, and how it is partially covered by the fence.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG

? where does a pilgrim OBTAIN a Miqulet lock here in the hinterlands of Colorado or USA - Hope I don't have to go all the way to Albania!

The only two places that I know of that offer a Kit are The Rifle Shoppe and Blackley & Son (in the U.K.) Then, you have to locate someone to build the lock that is experienced, and familiar with miquelet locks, and is actually looking for the business. Not easy.
I've found it easier to find original locks, in good working order, for about the same price.

Rick

My lock from the Albanian musket wreck...

Attachments

• 6AFF2087-74C6-4A5D-A944-4F1ED659EFFC.jpeg
    6AFF2087-74C6-4A5D-A944-4F1ED659EFFC.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 87
The back. Almost identical

Attachments

• AFF92754-03D3-4918-AD83-97F7F745443E.jpeg
    AFF92754-03D3-4918-AD83-97F7F745443E.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 79
This is off an Albanian musket wreck I bought sight unseen from a old guy in New Jersey who knew NOTHING about guns. Oh yeah, he sent it to the wrong address TWICE. Only gave $50 for bucks for it. Stock was literally broken in 20 pieces, barrel cut down, and still loaded. Powder still went off nicely.

? where does a pilgrim OBTAIN a Miqulet lock here in the hinterlands of Colorado or USA - Hope I don't have to go all the way to Albania!
I build these all the time, working on several right now.. I have pretty large inventory of Rifle Shoppe castings. Their quality is outstanding, easily on a par with Chambers. It takes work to build one but they give you the basic material. It does take experience, if you don't understand their geometry, you will have difficulty. They are the only realistic source for castings, Blackley has one but it is a small pistol size lock. I have one of those as well. I would be happy to talk to you about building one

Easie
Ok. I’m going to try to make a mainspring vise for my 2 miquelets. Dug out some scrap steel. Stay tuned.....
Easiest way is to modify some vise grips. Grind a notch in the bottom jaw which will catch on the lock plate, grind off about half of one side of the top jaw for some offset. I use contact cement to attach some leather to the jaws. Works great, very quick way to compress the mainspring which you will do often when setting one of these locks up.

Good hint. I go to flea markets and buy all the vise grips I see. Never can have too many.

Back