• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer Real Black Powder or a BP substitute?.........Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I primarily shoot BP, but have a can of pyro on the shelf for tiding me over if I run out of BP. It’s hard for me at least to find BP locally so I have to order it. Pyro seems to be all over the place. It’ll do in a pinch.

Not sure what is inherently different about Italian barrel breeches, but please tell us how one would ‘fix’ an Italian barrel breech, whatever it is that is wrong with them.
I am guessing based on a double barrel I purchased in the 80s. The threads were metric. Not difficult for a machinist, but I am not a machinist. Made things rough for me. I do not remember if the barrels were Italian or not, they were Navy Arms magnum 12 gauge barrels. They were percussion and I needed to change the breech plugs for flintlock vents
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Black Powder. I use it as it works best and I have access to it. If I cannot get it I will consider a substitute but it has not come to that in 50 years for me.

No judgment against anyone that has to use substitutes. Keep the smoke blowing.

this is why I enjoy this forum so much everyone has different opinions and from these we can learn something.

What we are learning is that some people like the subs, and some don't, but the people that DO like/use the subs find real BP hard to obtain, and those for whom BOTH are easy to find prefer the real thing.

It really needn't have taken eight pages - so far - to figure THAT out.

When I started out there was a local ML club that I joined, and they did group buys on real black which made it easily accessible for me. I developed loads using 2f and 3f. It works fine for me and ignition seems very instantaneous to me. The club has since been dissolved...lack of members...
I will pay the extra hazmat fees to have real black delivered to my door, as it works well for what I want to do and I already have loads developed with it. I've never tried a sub of any kind.
I also prefer to stay with real black so I can call myself a BP snob. Gotta be a snob about somethin'.

Back