• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Globe front sights on my .54 gph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought the lyman front globe sight for my lyman great plains hunter .54. This i.plan to be a hunting rifle. I haven't installed the globe yet as I wanted opinions on painting the post on one of my inserts. Do I need to paint it or leave it alone if I paint it what color?.

I just bought the lyman front globe sight for my lyman great plains hunter .54. This i.plan to be a hunting rifle. I haven't installed the globe yet as I wanted opinions on painting the post on one of my inserts. Do I need to paint it or leave it alone if I paint it what color?.
I forgot to add that I already installed the lyman white bead front sight but it may not be tall enough. I'm not sure how to determine front sight height on my rifles. I've added some front white bead front sights on muzzleloaders I haven't shot yet. I may have jumped the gun on some of my rifles. I'm a hunter more than a shooter

Are you pairing it up with the factory rear sight or a receiver peep sight like a Lyman 57? I use the 57 receiver sight on a number of TCs with a 17AHB front sight (.404” high), l believe Lyman’s shortest. I still shim the base of the rear sight so I have the adjustable sight holding arm as low as possible. Your front sight height will depend on your rear sight and the range you want to sight it in at. Lyman measures the height of their sights from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the aperture.

I do not color my inserts, I just try and find the one that works best for the conditions I’m in. I use Lee Shavers inserts.

There's no right or wrong front sight post color, since it will be a color you choose that is right for your use. I have globe sights on a couple of rifles & just left the inserts black. For other rifles with hooded sights, I've used bright orange nail polish over a base of silver paint & have done the same for several pistols.

Whenever I go to Target, Walmart or any drugstores, I always swing by the ladies area to check for a nice bright fluorescent nailpolish to use on sights. Nice thing about nail polish is that if yu get tired of it, it can be easily removed with a dab of acetone on a Q-tip, or if it chips, it can be easily touched up.

I've still got some nail polish I bought back in the early 80's that is the perfect color - stored in the refrigerator, it lasts forever.

I am a proponent of black front sights, especially posts. For me, the black contrasts well on targets, even black ones in fading light. My practice has been when it gets too dark to see it is time to go home. Globe sight inserts can be purchased in sets. Some shooting and fiddling with the rear sight and (cautious) shortening of the front sight can get you your perfect sight picture. BTW, if your rear sight is open and you are at a club or match that uses NMLRA rules, the globe front with a post is still considered a legal open sight.

I had a globe front site on my TC Renegade for a while, along with a rear peep sight. The globe front sight is a phenomenal target sight. My absolute favorite was the circle insert, and I used this with an NRA black circle target. Everything self aligned in a series of circles. A close second was the crosshairs insert. I found a globe site is best used with either a very small peep sight aperture (small enough to only allow view of the insert in the front globe), or very large to allow light around the entire front sight. When the rear aperture just barely allowed the whole front sight into view, it made my eyes bug out. I later found that a globe front is very poor for hunting unless you are in the wide open with great light. The problem is once you get about an hour from sundown, the front insert becomes a blurr, and it isn't long after that it turns all black.

What I went to was a large rear aperture, I believe a .125" opening. It is the Williams low light with brass ring. I do not know if the brass ring does anything or not. The front I gave up on the globe, and installed a plain old post, I forget the width. The face of the front, I painted first white, then bright orange with paint markers. This set up will get me pretty close to the end of legal shooting time unless things get very dark, like in thick forest. This set up doesn't give up all that much precision on targets either.

Back