• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally Joined

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimea River

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to sign up. I realized it's been about 8 years since I've let the lead fly and I dug out the old ROA and CVA Hawken and am getting re-acquainted. I can't shoot yet because of fire restrictions but I'll be ready to go once the National Forests here open.

Welcome from Flagstaff. Forests open for shooting but BE CAREFUL. Stage 1 now in coconino county (no camp fires but OK to Shoot. Firearms discharge not disallowed until stage 3.

Welcome from Flagstaff. Forests open for shooting but BE CAREFUL. Stage 1 now in coconino county (no camp fires but OK to Shoot. Firearms discharge not disallowed until stage 3.

I'm in the Verde Valley and shoot in the Prescott Natl. Forest. The way I read it, under Stage 1 shooting is not allowed unless you're hunting . I'd love to be wrong. This is what I read on their website:

Stage I fire restrictions prohibit the following:

1. Igniting, building, maintaining, or using a fire, including charcoal and briquettes outside a fire structure that is provided by the Forest Service within a designated area. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
  2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any flammable material. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).
  3. Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations. 36 C.F.R. § 261.58(m).

I'm in the Verde Valley and shoot in the Prescott Natl. Forest. The way I read it, under Stage 1 shooting is not allowed unless you're hunting . I'd love to be wrong. This is what I read on their website:

Stage I fire restrictions prohibit the following:

1. Igniting, building, maintaining, or using a fire, including charcoal and briquettes outside a fire structure that is provided by the Forest Service within a designated area. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
  2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any flammable material. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).
  3. Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations. 36 C.F.R. § 261.58(m).

Well come on up to Coconino!

Stage I Restrictions
Stage I fire restrictions flyer What is Prohibited:

• Igniting, building, maintaining, or using a fire, including charcoal and briquettes outside a fire structure that is provided by the Forest Service within a developed campground that is open.
  • Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any flammable material.
What is Allowed:
  • Using a stove or grill that is solely fueled by pressurized liquid petroleum or pressurized petroleum gas (LPG) fuels (that can be turned off immediately).
  • Shooting firearms IS allowed. Just make sure to follow normal federal rules: No shooting within a 150 yards of a campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, residence or building. No shooting across a road, trail or body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. No shooting in a cave.
  • Chainsaw use IS allowed. However, please use caution and keep from creating sparks by not cutting directly on the ground where the chain can contact rocks while rotating.

Coconino is just at the top of the rim up I-17. Pull into the first or second exit (2nd is Rocky Park RD), LOTTA area where you will be able to find a safe backstop.

Back