• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Predator 2 - The flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I just watched an oldie but goldie again and got curious about the flintlock pistol that the predator (identified as "Greyback") tossed to Harrigon in the closing scenes. I did some digging and found out a little about it.
20200904_175241.jpg
20200904_180324_HDR.jpg

Yup, that old Predator had been hunting here a long time. I wonder if their conversation around a campfire turned to how hard it was becoming to hunt our species. Something like “ Yeah there is a lot more game now but they are becoming smarter than they used to be in the good old days”.

...."maths?" LOL

I saw both "Predators" in the theater...Part 2 was a let down. So what was found out about the flintlock pistol?

...."maths?" LOL

I saw both "Predators" in the theater...Part 2 was a let down. So what was found out about the flintlock pistol?
Its funny that you quote "maths". That is what we say in Australia, when you say "math", that sounds as ridiculous as "anyways".

I agree on part 2 being a let down though.

Yup, that old Predator had been hunting here a long time. I wonder if their conversation around a campfire turned to how hard it was becoming to hunt our species. Something like “ Yeah there is a lot more game now but they are becoming smarter than they used to be in the good old days”.
Perhaps he was a re-enactor. But as a non human would that make him an enactor?

Its funny that you quote "maths". That is what we say in Australia, when you say "math", that sounds as ridiculous as "anyways".

I agree on part 2 being a let down though.

I cannot recall an American using the word "anyways." You are Australian? Well that explains everything. LOL Hello from America.

Ya, Part 2 just didn't "have it." Sequels seldom do.

Sorry for the delay - I got caught in that thing called life......
The "next" movie was to be a throw back to 1718 and was about a pirate (who's name is engraved on the pistol) and an alien duking it out.
The end of the movie was to show the pirate - mortally wounded by a fellow shipmate - giving his pistol to the alien in a gesture of respect and he says the words - "Take it"
The alien is "Greyback" and is the same aged alien that gives the pistol to the cop (Danny Glover) some 250 years later with the same respect for a fellow hunter. The script did make it to a comic book script but because of the lack of ticket sales for Predator 2 - the movie was never made.
The gun in question was a movie prop (supposedly a real gun) that had been modified for the movie. The flintlock pistol was reported to have been repurposed again to another movie and it's current whereabouts is unknown.
The stop frame pictures I got were not very good, but it seems the gun itself was a pretty nice piece.

so it was perhaps an original, real flint lock pistol, the real deal??

From the shape of the top jaw of the hammer, it looks like a Patilla "miquelet" pistol. The Patilla "miquelet" lock had an incredibly fascinating and long history, as well as a period of use. The Spanish developed the lock in the late 16th century and it was in use by the early 17th century. This style of lock was developed about the same time in Italy as well, due to interactions with the Spanish, but the Italian version had some stylistic differences. Although it didn't entirely replace matchlocks, the Spanish used this lock from the early 17th century until the late 1740s (in some places into the 1770s), when it was replaced by a more "French-style" lock. The Padilla lock was so rugged and easy to repair, the Spanish re-adopted it in the 1780s and used it until it became obsolete in the 19th century. There were even percussion miquelet locks that were not conversions from the earlier flintlock design that were used until the development of cartridge firearms. These types of weapons were in use in much of what is now the United States in areas that were colonized by the Spanish and saw use during the American Revolution. See the attached images of a Spanish miquelet pistol for comparison to Raphael Adolini's pistol from Predator. This pistol likely dates from the early-mid 18th century.

Attachments

• 1599404692465.png
    1599404692465.png
    318.1 KB · Views: 153
so it was perhaps an original, real flint lock pistol, the real deal??
I would find it doubtful it was an original, as one would just be way too expensive to consider modifying it for a movie.
However - I can see where it could have been a repro.
I did not know anything about the particular style of lock but the butt end cap was very interesting and something that I would like to have on a pistol.

nuff said. I like where you are coming from! yes NANCY, is one dangerous dude! and she doesn't have to register it.

I sometimes use an old hair dryer for drying up moisture after cleaning the gun. Got it years ago at a thrift store for $2.

Back