• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mike Beliveau’s latest video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he MIKE, is a national treasure, or at least I think he should be one! yes he is just the best. he rely puts his hart into all things black powder related. JMHO.

Here in Massachusetts it's illegal to buy/sell any BP conversion revolver, which is so maddening I can't even think about all the other Mass firearm laws that are just as maddening or else I'll risk a stroke!
well that is because you live in THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MASSACHUTES!

Here in Massachusetts it's illegal to buy/sell any BP conversion revolver, which is so maddening I can't even think about all the other Mass firearm laws that are just as maddening or else I'll risk a stroke!
Let's keep discussions of gun laws out of this thread. While I'm at it, I have to once again remind people, we do NOT discuss conversion cylinders on this Forum.

Even though he may have missed the target at 125 yards, I would not want to be the second or third man in the formation because I would be wounded or killed. I think the lines were 4 or 5 men deep so this would be an effective range to put a hurt on someone.

I didn't hear him mention the caliber. What would the smoothbores of that era have been on average?

I believe he is using in his video the same one he uses in "Loading 18th century civilian smooth bores" ( another great video ) which is a French style Fusil de Chase 20ga with .61 diameter balls.

IMG_0478.PNG

Last edited:
I two an guilty of it also. so I will come clean. funny when I am at the range and say my gun is 62 CAL when asked what caliber it is, no one seams to pick up on it when I say it is a 62, CAL. smooth bore fowler. so don't worry about it. only the a$$l will jump on you.

I often say .62 caliber or 20 bore so you’re in pretty poor company....
I recall reading an English gentleman who had visited America who described american rifles of having a 7/16 bore, and a call a bit earlier to make the committee of safety musket with 3/4 inch bores.
maybe I should call my guns a 7/16, 9/16 or 5/8😊

Here in the USA you can go to any gun website and order a muzzleloader of any kind and have it mailed straight to your door in a couple of days, no license or ID required whatsoever. It is literally as easy as buying say a pair of knickers. Even a small child could technically do this with ease if they knew how. I do not know of any legal age requirements to possess a muzzlelaoder in this country,

I really feel for you guys in Europe. Beautiful country and good food, I quite enjoy scones.

There are now some states that have restrictions on BP guns. Don’t remember which ones, besides the usual suspects.

Back