• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim if I can figure out how to make my fancy camera take pictures that are not too big I would.
I have a picture of the percussion answer to SBR with one of my 3" snubbies on the shoulder stock.
Unfortunately the snubby is match conditioned and the fourth screw is cut down so the stock is not a tight fit. Had it been that is what I would have shot.
We will see

Thank you for posting that information Sourdough.

All i can add on these stocks is they are like Marmite, you love them or hate them. Collecting as a historical curio, great. Shooting...bloody awful things for reasons already mentioned...eugh!

But i am glad people are still buying them and keeping history alive.

Jim if I can figure out how to make my fancy camera take pictures that are not too big I would.
I have a picture of the percussion answer to SBR with one of my 3" snubbies on the shoulder stock.
Unfortunately the snubby is match conditioned and the fourth screw is cut down so the stock is not a tight fit. Had it been that is what I would have shot.
We will see.

Bunk,

I know that some digital cameras take hi-res photos. My 12-year-old Olympus does the same. If you would prefer, send them to me via email and I will resize them to fit the forum page.

[email protected]

Regards,

Jim

Thank you for posting that information Sourdough.

All i can add on these stocks is they are like Marmite, you love them or hate them. Collecting as a historical curio, great. Shooting...bloody awful things for reasons already mentioned...eugh!

But i am glad people are still buying them and keeping history alive.

Carl,

Thanks for the kind words. I only have one question: what the heck is Marmite? I plead ignorance. :doh:

Regards,

Jim

Carl,

Thanks for the kind words. I only have one question: what the heck is Marmite? I plead ignorance. :doh:

Regards,

Jim

It’s a British condiment made from beer yeast waste and salt. It’s very savoury and salty, almost a meaty taste, and about the color and thickness of black strap molasses though nothing alike in flavour. Quite nice on butter toast.

I am not the best at organization of files on my computer. When I see something that has photos I create a folder concerning it and hope to heck I can remember where it can be found in my 68-year-old mind.

I found these files today and wish I had included them in my original post. Hindsight is 20/20 so here is the sequel.

According to my notes this is purported to be a Colt 3rd Gen cased set that went for $3K at auction. I want the stock, the case, and accoutrements. I don't want the bling overpriced revolver.

The next guns were offered, bought, and sold through the October Country (Idaho) website when they acquired the collection of Dr. Jim L. Davis (RPRCA) late last year. They were first offered for sale in late November 2019 and the seller (who normally just deals in BP rifle supplies and accessories) had no clue as to the value of the collection, and the offerings sold like hotcakes at a pancake restaurant.

https://www.octobercountry.com/
I like this ASM 3rd Model Dragoon cased set, probably mid-70's manufacture. It has the rear 3-leaf sight.

These next ones are two different ASM 1970's revolvers with shoulder stocks, both having 18" barrels. I do not know what they sold for but given the flurry at that time I am guessing that the buyers got one heckuva deal.

OC still has one cased shoulder stocked 1860 Army to sell, but it is a Hawes brass frame and is not historically correct. I offered $450 a month ago and he came back with a price of $750.

https://www.octobercountry.com/1860-army-44-cal-with-shoulder-stock-hawes-firearms-css/
I also have many photos of handmade shoulder stocks, several from Eastern Europe if you folks want me to post them.

I know I am probably the only one anal enough here to be interested to the depth I have taken this subject. My original quest was for information about shoulder stocks for a Dragoon revolver, but my Internet search has taken me much further.

Addictions are just that.

You folks stay safe and have a good night.

Regards,

Jim

I can't understand why most of Uberti's Dragoons are cut for shoulder stock, yet they do not offer it. I've got one of their 1860s, and finding their stock was no problem. Why? They look cool!

Other pistols I have with them include:
Browning Hi Power (Ingliss)
Mauser C96
Artillery Luger
Lahti (original Lahti stocks are extremely rare and expect to pay at least $4K - the artillery Luger stock fits just fine!)

Here are my Belgium Centaures, two are notched for the shoulder stock, the civilian model with the silver plated trigger guard and backstrap is not.
IMG_E2395.JPG
IMG_E2201.JPG

I wish the stocks were a bit less expensive. They look real neat and I’d love to experiment with differences in accuracy but man... not sure and I’ve read they almost always require fitting such as sanding down grips etc. That’s kind of a turnoff considering the dang things cost as much as the gun itself.

well here we go
that shiny spot is the rest and yes that is a dovetailed front sight.
Thanks Jim
Bunk

thumbnail

thumbnail

Well here we go. tThat shiny spot is the rest and yes, that is a dovetailed front sight.
Thanks Jim
Bunk

Sorry it did not work for you from our email.

Here are your photos. Now that I know, I will do it this way from now on.

Regards,

Jim

DSC_0028[13696].JPG
DSC_0029[13697].JPG

just remember to KEEP YOUR LEFT HAND AND FINGERS OUT OF IN FRONT OF THE CYLENDER! YOU WILL STAND A CHANCE OF LOOSING THEM. the hot gasses will give you a wake up call!. this message should be included when it is purchased!
Let alone what might happen in the event of a chain fire. ☹

Back