• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Japanese Bess stock upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever restocked a Miroku Bess with a more "correct" stock, with a taller buttplate and replace the trigger guard and other parts to make the gun more authentic ?

Hi,
I will be in the process of doing exactly that very soon to make a marine and militia musket as issued to Royal marines in the early 1770s. The trigger guard and buttplate will be replaced. I am also replacing the lock plate but using all the other parts to build a new lock using a correct plate from TRS. The Miroku barrel and lock components are very good quality. I'll also replace the ramrod pipes. I have a perfect piece of plain English walnut for the project.

dave

Still want to get this done. Anyone able/willing to restock a Miroku using a blank and the correct size buttplate ? The finished gun would be a beautiful Second Model.

Not an easy project.

I would contact Dave Keck and Knobb Mountain, use his Brown Bess Pattern and have it cut for your barrel and steel ramrod.

Then have someone (if you’re not qualified) to complete the finished gun.

The total cost of a restock will run about 300 for the stock and then another 1000 for the work. Brown Bess’s are considerable work with hand tools, precision and patience. I’m learning it myself right now and practicing on slabs of walnut.

bear in mind most of the cost of this work is Sunk, my meaning is the new stock and workmanship costs generally doesn’t add to total value of the gun. A restocked Miroku defined as customized will trade for $1000-2000 on the market, and I’ve seen people buy used Miroku’s with old stocks for $1400.

So with that in mind, you’re goning to want to do a complete ‘defarb’ remove all manufacture markings, correctly mark the gun and try to have some of the brass parts corrected like the trigger guard, and butt plate and wrist plate screw.

Thanks. Guess it's a cost/benefit conundrum. I didn't spend a lot on the gun, so it may be worth it to proceed. or sell it and look for an existing TRS build. I've seen them sell in the range you cited. Why is this hobby so complicated ? ;=)

Thanks. Guess it's a cost/benefit conundrum. I didn't spend a lot on the gun, so it may be worth it to proceed. or sell it and look for an existing TRS build. I've seen them sell in the range you cited. Why is this hobby so complicated ? ;=)

theres 3 complications with the hobby; the reinactor, the gun collector and the gun builder. The later 2 understand ‘value’ and ‘prices’. The novice reinactor might pay 2,000 for a custom miroku.

My late neighbor was a stock maker (part time business) and he had a pattern for a fully inletted Miroku Bess stock. His shop still stands complete with 2 multi spindle duplicators and all his other equipment and I'll guarantee the Bess pattern stock is still there too. Unfortunately this does none of us any good at all.

The problem with the Dunlap and hawkeyes stock is the buttstock. It has to be taller to fit the correct longer/taller buttplate and accommodate drop and LOP. Of course a blank of the right size would work but I still need someone who can do the work. Also sourcing the hardware (buttplate, side plate etc,) from TRS may take awhile. i don't know who else makes correct fittings for Besses. But thank you all for the info, I appreciate your help and interest !

If you speak to daniel at dunlap he will advise against using his pedersoli stock on a navy arms miroku bess.

Ive seen this project fail (i havent tried personally but i know gunsmiths who
Have) because of the miroku breech being too large, this of course affects other things too like lock bolt placement. Pedersoli bess breeches are around 1.250 with mirokus being around 1.28-1.30 with a quicker tapering than the pedersoli barrel. Breech tangs are also different. This is one of the most critical parts of fitting a round barrel to a stock. You may run the risk of having to take down the flat on the pan side of the lock to get everything to fit, i wouldnt do this on a seasoned miroku barrel.

Your best bet is to send your barrel to dave keck and have him make bess stock cut for your barrel and ramrod then have the rest inlet and assembled. This option will work the best. Its of course not cheap and a challenging DIY project; there really is no easier way. Dave makes a really nice bess stock of a late 1755 pattern

Last edited:
Here's a comparison photo showing a Long Land Pattern (it has an early style replacement cock), a Pedersoli, and an Indian Pattern. You can see how the Pedersoli comb is much shorter and the butt plate is short also by about 1/4". The Pedersoli butt plate is the size of a British carbine plate.
LongLand-Pedersoli-India Pattern.jpg

Mike

Back