• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Bobby Hoyt Half Stock Plains Gun .45/.62 and Accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I'd share a pic of the newest gun in my fold. A Half Stock Plains Gun made many decades ago by Bobby Hoyt. I call it a gun because it's a hooked breach gun made with two Bobby Hoyt barrels, one a rifled .45, and the other a smoothbore .62. It has an L&R percussion lock. I scrounged through my spare bags, flasks, and shot bags and came up with this as a rig. Some old Southern style bag, an original Dixon & Son's 'Hanging Game' flask, and an Irish shot pouch made by Jerry Rice of ALR with an original Irish head. Wood powder measure, and NC banded horn shot measure by Tim Crosby. I'll do a spotlight video on it soon....

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

Last edited:
I thought I'd share a pic of the newest gun in my fold. A Half Stock Plains Gun made many decades ago by Bobby Hoyt. I call it a gun because it's a hooked breach gun made with two Bobby Hoyt barrels, one a rifled .45, and the other a smoothbore .62. It has an L&R percussion lock. I scrounged through my spare bags, flasks, and shot bags and came up with this as a rig. Some old Southern style bag, an original Dixon & Son's 'Hanging Game' flask, and an Irish shot pouch made by Jerry Rice of ALR with an original Irish head. Wood powder measure, and NC banded horn shot measure by Tim Crosby. I'll do a spotlight video on it soon....

View attachment 42014
View attachment 42015

BEAUT!!!

I wonder if you have any plans to ever do a percussion rifle film for your wonderful Black Powder TV series on the youtubes? I’ll bet many would love to see a caplock on there. 😬

Thanks Smoke. I'm picking up a few just for that. I had sold off all my percussion guns before I started the channel except for my Original P53 and M1842HF. I needed a gun that wasn't a musket to do some percussion videos. Coming soon!

Awesome, Mike! Everybody and their brother has videos on the muskets but there is a dearth of traditional civilian caplock rifles on youtube. I’m talking authentic styled ones, not the Traditions and CVA guns. Uh oh! My “elitism” is showing LOL!

I think you have a winner with that rifle/gun, Bob! The kit you've assembled to go with it looks perfect. All of it, the gun and gear, appears well broken in. I like the look of a rifle that has a few miles on it.

I'm looking forward to the video.

It would be great if we could see a few more photos of the firearm, too...

Notchy Bob

I think you have a winner with that rifle/gun, Bob! The kit you've assembled to go with it looks perfect. All of it, the gun and gear, appears well broken in. I like the look of a rifle that has a few miles on it.

I'm looking forward to the video.

It would be great if we could see a few more photos of the firearm, too...

Notchy Bob

Thanks Bob. I like my stuff to have some miles on it as well. The only time brass shines around here is when I'm filing it...

She's a base model. Custom Gun. Great barrel and Lock. Got her cheap. Just how I like em.

IMG_0144 2.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG

Thanks, Bob!

That's what I was hoping to see... A little more detail. That gun has really nice, graceful lines, and the close-ups reveal just how slender it is. That's a working gun, and I'll bet it'll be as nimble as a falcon in the field.

Mr. Hoyt came up with a really nice concept, and then built it.

Notchy Bob

is that a FORT MEIGS AX, hanging up? if so would you please tell me where you got it?

I went through my records and as luck would have it, it’s one of the few things I own that I didn’t write down who made it. It has an NA mark. I’ve got feelers out and when someone gets back to me I’ll let you know. I just can’t remember who forged it but it is a super axe. Sorry about that.

1E3DD0FD-3F23-47A7-A94C-991461A55472.jpeg
5E3B9DB6-B260-41C5-925E-A45841655706.jpeg

thank's guys for the reply with information.and yes it sure caught my eye hanging on the wall. a beautiful small belt ax.

View attachment 42014
View attachment 42015
Very cool rig and gun, awesome sauce! Now you can help me kill some doves!

Back