• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DIY Breech Plug for a 12 Gauge smokeless single shot barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wudsruner

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am planning a new "scrap yard" muzzleloader, and I am going to buy a Numrich 12 gauge barrel blank and use it for the barrel. I plan on using this because I do not have to worry about it blowing up (as black iron pipe barrels can) and leaving me fingerless. I have created a simple percussion lock and have the stock planned, and my only issue is how I am going to close the breech and make the barrel blank into a muzzleloader barrel. Can I use a bolt from the hardware store that fits and weld it in? I have no problem with exposed welds or anything cosmetic, it will be a beater/junkyard muzzleloader and the more "Mad Max" style it looks the better :) thank you all, and do not hold back on the criticism as I am a very beginner gun maker (if you can call it that 😂) and I am open to it always. If this is a horrible idea, please say so!

Here was the pistol I made, it is not done and it is very crude and I will never fire it in my hands, but I will trust a 12 gauge barrel to not explode on me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_184505.jpg
    IMG_20200902_184505.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 185
Well the 12 gauge barrel blank is a good place to start but welding a bolt in to close the breech is a poor idea and that's from someone who has held several welding certs. Unless you want the breech plug going through your right eye on it's way to you brain I suggest you have a machinist or gunsmith fit a proper plug. As far as the gun looking "Mad Max" or steampunk, no problem, just do it safely.

"it is very crude and I will never fire it in my hands" Do Not fire that pistol even with a blank charge! :eek:😨 Not holding it in your hands or tied to a tree or anything else. It may have one open end but it's still a pipe bomb and shrapnel can be lethal at quite a distance (and yes I know a little about that from my misspent youth.) Now that is an example of a horrible idea!

Well the 12 gauge barrel blank is a good place to start but welding a bolt in to close the breech is a poor idea and that's from someone who has held several welding certs. Unless you want the breech plug going through your right eye on it's way to you brain I suggest you have a machinist or gunsmith fit a proper plug. As far as the gun looking "Mad Max" or steampunk, no problem, just do it safely.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will contact a gunsmith and have him do it for me. Also, my welding skills are quite bad.

"it is very crude and I will never fire it in my hands" Do Not fire that pistol even with a blank charge! :eek:😨 Not holding it in your hands or tied to a tree or anything else. It may have one open end but it's still a pipe bomb and shrapnel can be lethal at quite a distance (and yes I know a little about that from my misspent youth.) Now that is an example of a horrible idea!
Thank you again, I have seen people make slam fire shotguns with the same black iron pipe but I have also heard horror stories of homemade guns exploding. I want to have a future 😂 I will contact a gunsmith and see if I can have a breech plug added to the 12 gauge barrel. Would it be cheaper to just buy an actual muzzleloader barrel? Because after buying the barrel and the plug and paying the gunsmith it will not be a budget junkyard gun anymore haha

it is almost a flash back to, back in the early 50's when I was young. we would break off a car antenna and with a rubber band and a door lock sliding bolt, the inside diameter was just prefect for a caliber 22, rim fire. they were called ZIP GUNS. BTW, car antenna's are no longer hollow and that era has long passed.

When I was 13 my best friend and I made a crude M/L pistol out of pipe. we always tied it to a tree, put a fuse in the touch hole, lit it and ran off behind another tree and waited for it to go off. We made our own black powder.

One day when I was not around he held it in his hand and touched it off, it blew up and killed him.

Beware homemade junk guns, we were 13 and careless, I have had to live with this tragedy all my life, I am 72 now and am still ashamed of my part in what we made.

When I was 13 my best friend and I made a crude M/L pistol out of pipe. we always tied it to a tree, put a fuse in the touch hole, lit it and ran off behind another tree and waited for it to go off. We made our own black powder.

One day when I was not around he held it in his hand and touched it off, it blew up and killed him.

Beware homemade junk guns, we were 13 and careless, I have had to live with this tragedy all my life, I am 72 now and am still ashamed of my part in what we made.
Wow, that is a horrible tragedy and I am so sorry you have to carry that with you. I will be extremely cautious about this endeavor and I will not cut corners. I might even just give up on the idea because a loss of limbs or life is so unimaginably awful. Thank you for sharing.

For the love of god, DON’T! You may use a reasonable powder charge and be ok, but what happens when somebody gets ahold of it and really charges it hot......hate to sound like a jerk,but being a jerk saves lives and limbs sometimes.....

I am planning a new "scrap yard" muzzleloader, and I am going to buy a Numrich 12 gauge barrel blank and use it for the barrel. I plan on using this because I do not have to worry about it blowing up (as black iron pipe barrels can) and leaving me fingerless. I have created a simple percussion lock and have the stock planned, and my only issue is how I am going to close the breech and make the barrel blank into a muzzleloader barrel. Can I use a bolt from the hardware store that fits and weld it in? I have no problem with exposed welds or anything cosmetic, it will be a beater/junkyard muzzleloader and the more "Mad Max" style it looks the better :) thank you all, and do not hold back on the criticism as I am a very beginner gun maker (if you can call it that 😂) and I am open to it always. If this is a horrible idea, please say so!
Its a horrible Idea.
SM

For the love of god, DON’T! You may use a reasonable powder charge and be ok, but what happens when somebody gets ahold of it and really charges it hot......hate to sound like a jerk,but being a jerk saves lives and limbs sometimes.....
Thank you, I kind of knew it was a bad Idea but I wanted to gauge how bad or if it was a common practice in the community. Guess not! I will take the barrel to a gunsmith and have him fit a safe breech plug.

Folks have been taking breech loading guns and threading plugs in then to ‘create’ a muzzleloader barrel, 45 caliber and 410 shotgun are doable. I know that some breech loading barrels are around 1.10” outside diameter at the breech, and should be able to take a fine threaded breech plug for a 12 gauge plug. But why? Plenty of barrels out there made as muzzleloader barrels to chose from.

Thinking about your DIY idea, may be better to use something like an exhaust pipe and hose clamps. With a lot of powder. No point in maiming yourself and being a burden on your family. Being blind and deaf with no fingers is no way to live If you can avoid it. Get it over quickly....... Seriously, does not sound like a good idea.

Folks have been taking breech loading guns and threading plugs in then to ‘create’ a muzzleloader barrel, 45 caliber and 410 shotgun are doable. I know that some breech loading barrels are around 1.10” outside diameter at the breech, and should be able to take a fine threaded breech plug for a 12 gauge plug. But why? Plenty of barrels out there made as muzzleloader barrels to chose from.

Thinking about your DIY idea, may be better to use something like an exhaust pipe and hose clamps. With a lot of powder. No point in maiming yourself and being a burden on your family. Being blind and deaf with no fingers is no way to live If you can avoid it. Get it over quickly....... Seriously, does not sound like a good idea.
Wow ok I know I said tell me if this was a bad idea, but point taken everyone 😂

Stay safe my friend and I hope you continue to hang around here. :)
Thank you all for the advice, and while I appreciate the jest from some, I understand that I was not thinking this through. I will be much safer in my future endeavors. For now, I'm putting down the welder and the drill and going to shoot my NOT COBBLED TOGETHER muzzleloaders 😂 I will continue to lurk and share when I can. Thank you all again god bless

Its funny this post...Iam kicking around the idea of doing a new englander breech plug on a shotgun bbl by doing a open root bevel with argon gas inside and tig,100% .I work x-ray checked ,bleed air 4 inch cres pipe with 100% alignment.IT will work,by properly trained ,understanding and qualified

Its funny this post...Iam kicking around the idea of doing a new englander breech plug on a shotgun bbl by doing a open root bevel with argon gas inside and tig,100% .I work x-ray checked ,bleed air 4 inch cres pipe with 100% alignment.IT will work,by properly trained ,understanding and qualified
Wow, this is a far cry from my horrible looking welds from a 89$ harbor freight flux welder. I am definitely going to a gunsmith

Personally, I'd forego the "DIY" plug, and get a breach plug appropriate for whatever ignition you are using (I presume percussion) that fits the chamber, and thread the breach end of the barrel.
Breach plugs don't cost your first born, or even an arm and three or four legs.
Not even if you went with a hooked breach and tang assembly.

Back