• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not really a paper cartridge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I am not a very patient person. That said I took a shot at paper cartridges without the over priced tapered dowl and drilled block of wood.

I decided to give up on making the cartridge with the ball. I did however come up with the items pictured below.

Basically a cigarette paper with my light 12g load rolled up and stiff lube coated balls that look like wasabi peas.

What do you think?
IMG_20200901_224154_9.jpg

Comment deleted by Zonie

You know after seeing black powder ignite under compression I have a healthy respect for it. Just a little of this stuff is mighty powerful.

I even keep my ammo in a separate container when going to the range. Truth be told I have 3 pounds of black now and it makes me nervous. I end up determining the safest spot to store it was my bedroom. That way nobody else in the house messes with it and I know right where it's at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another alternative to paper cartridges is the Dixie tubes:

I’ve tried it and they’re great. Not period but way more durable than the paper cartridge, water resistant, easy and fast to use, extremely fast to make up, and does away with needing to carry flask, ball bag, etc. A pocket or pouch full of the Dixie tubes and tin of caps or better year a capper and you’re all set.

Paper cartridges are fun but even the quick methods are tedious and I just prefer and feel safer, and find cleaning easier, by just avoiding the paper residue in the chambers and just use Dixie tubes. I carry some in a a tin in my pocket with my Polish capper. Gun in a flap holster for protection. I’ve got 12 rounds of .44s and do NOT feel unarmed by no means.

You know after seeing black powder ignite under compression I have a healthy respect for it. Just a little of this stuff is mighty powerful.

I even keep my ammo in a separate container when going to the range. Truth be told I have 3 pounds of black now and it makes me nervous. I end up determining the safest spot to store it was my bedroom. That way nobody else in the house messes with it and I know right where it's at.

Go to YouTube and type in Anvil Shoot! You'll see real quick what a little BP can do shoving that heavy anvil 200' skyward!!

Back