• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cimarron Original Finiish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of getting my next BP revolver from Cimarron with their "Original Finish". Has anyone here gotten one of their revolvers from them with this finish and if so, were they satisfied with it? Was it worth the extra 100 bucks, aesthetically? I'd love to see a picture of one if anybody has gotten one as I'm really intrigued by it, for God knows what reason. Thinking about a Uberti 1860 Army Civilian. I've got two regular Uberti 1860 Army pistols, one with the fluted cylinder, and maybe I'm just itching for something different(?) Who knows how our minds work when it comes to desiring weapons.......................

I'm toying with the idea of getting my next BP revolver from Cimarron with their "Original Finish". Has anyone here gotten one of their revolvers from them with this finish and if so, were they satisfied with it? Was it worth the extra 100 bucks, aesthetically? I'd love to see a picture of one if anybody has gotten one as I'm really intrigued by it, for God knows what reason. Thinking about a Uberti 1860 Army Civilian. I've got two regular Uberti 1860 Army pistols, one with the fluted cylinder, and maybe I'm just itching for something different(?) Who knows how our minds work when it comes to desiring weapons.......................

I have 3 Cimarron pistols and I am happy with all of them.

I have the Original Finish on a 1858 Navy and I am very pleased with the finish. I went there and picked out the pistol.

There is no way I would take a perfectly nice pistol and apply vinegar myself to try to replicate Uberti's work and craftsmanship.

Can't post pictures as I do not know

Go to: https://taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder

Look for the Antique Finish

My next 1858 will be from Taylor's in the Black Rock Finish.

You can also ruin a pistol with a lack on knowledge and talent.

Why insult someone’s intelligence? It’s not rocket science.

Here’s mine:

81190494-E7F5-435E-B376-E136D2B54247.jpeg

1E9B2A13-491C-4D32-967C-EB6A3A963898.jpeg

Attachments

• F8D213C6-35F6-499B-86A3-79A71361082E.jpeg
    F8D213C6-35F6-499B-86A3-79A71361082E.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 91
That's exactly what I do to mine Smoke. Vinegar the bluing off (it's amazing to watch it being eaten away from a single spot) and French Grey it. Some folks like em new looking and I can appreciate that but I want to have a grey pistola when I'm head to toe covered in BP residue.....

Also, I like ol' Blackie, he's just the type I see every Wednesday at the Co-op when I pick up my feed.....

That's exactly what I do to mine Smoke. Vinegar the bluing off (it's amazing to watch it being eaten away from a single spot) and French Grey it. Some folks like em new looking and I can appreciate that but I want to have a grey pistola when I'm head to toe covered in BP residue.....

Also, I like ol' Blackie, he's just the type I see every Wednesday at the Co-op when I pick up my feed.....

I agree Bob, it’s a fun project and costs pennies.

I agree Bob, it’s a fun project and costs pennies.

Yep. And, though some folks poopoo falsely patina-ing a gun, my ancestors could only afford a new gun every two or three generations so a new gun is not HC as far as my people go. Far from it. In 1850 I guarantee my families guns were at least 50 years old.... As a matter of fact, I guarantee my people were shooting flintlocks (or at least a converted gun) until something like 1900.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the warmth of a percussion revolver with a false patina, they look like an arm with perhaps a decade-plus of use or neglect. Don't they then represent the 1870's or later?

I've seen some youtube videos by the Cimarron owner talking about how his guns are finished to a higher standard. I don't have any, so I can't speak to that. Interesting videos though. As far as antiquing one, I'd suggest buying a used one and doing it first. Lots of youtube videos on that too.

The Forgotten Weapons videos, especially his Rock Island Auction shows, have lots of views of originals, showing authentically aged finishes. Here's one on the Colt Dragoons, including the Walker, showing real aging, including patches of blue remaining.

Artificially aging is an art, and some people have the talent, others don't. One thing to look for is dings and dents - humans have a hard time making such things look random.

- Bill

Latest posts

Back