• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Markwell Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Sight

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a .45 caliber percussion cap pistol made by Markwell, so I could participate in a local muzzle loader match. A few times per year, a pistol match will follow the rifle match. The Markwell is a little rough around the edges, but it functions. I could not find any load recommendations for Markwell, so I have been using Traditions pistol data to get started. I have been loading at the lighter end of the listed charge weights for safety's sake.

I've been testing loads at 15 yards and so far the best load prints 5 shot groups 1-1/2" Wide x 2-1/2" High.

What kind of accuracy do you get at 15 yards with your muzzle loading pistols? What is the longest distance to the targets you shoot and what kind of groups do you get with your pistols?

I’m not a very good pistol shooter. For me that would not be too bad, even off sand bags. Beside load variables you have the quality of the sights, trigger pull weight, and lock time. I’ll assume there is room for group improvement with load, patch and lube variations. You just have to try stuff. Also, if you have a very accurate unmentionable how well can you shoot it?

Pistol matches are shot at 25 and 50 yards. Each match consists normally of 10 shots per target. Normal time is 10 shots, one handed in 30 minutes.

As far as powder goes I would start around 15 to 18 grains and max. out at 20 or so. Lots of powder is not needed, accurate shooting comes from low powder charges.

Starting out I would strive for 80 at 25 yards and 70 at 50 yards.

For a comparison, a High Master pistol shooter will need to shoot 95 at 25 yards to be on the board and needs 85 at 50 yards.

Go to the hardware store and get a foot of 1/4" vacuum hose and cut a short piece off and slip it over your nipple. You can dry fire that way without damaging your nipple. You can dry fire in your house by shooting at your light switches. Do that 10 minutes each day, it will do wonder for your scores.

Dry firing does 2 things: You learn your trigger and you become more familiar with the pistol by handling it.

Good luck and learn to have fun.

Last edited:
50 yards FishDFly? That would be an accomplishment with a muzzle loading pistol in my book. Do you clean the barrel between shots?

Yes, clean the barrel between shots.

If you watch line shooters, they all clean between shots.

In matches folks will clean revolvers after shooting 10 shots.

Fifty yards does seem rather daunting at first. It just takes some time and practice. Now, I do not practice at 25 yards. Matches are won at 50 yards and that is where practice is needed.

Pistol shooting is 90% mental. There are no secrets in shooting pistols.

There are three things to becoming a good pistol shot:

1. Proper sight alignment.

2. Trigger control

3. Learning to hold still

Until you get well practiced you can feel real good if you can get all of your shots on the scoring rings at 25 and 50 yards. As your muscle memory develops you will narrow in on the center.

Shooting and pistol shooting.

1. "Only" shoot against yourself.
2. Keep a record of your practice targets.
3. Keep a record of your record targets.
4. Post your "best" target and look at it frequently.
5. Even Timmy "Ten Ring" has match pressure.

Muzzle loading pistols are new to me and I am willing to learn. I competed with an unmentionable 6 shot hand held firearm at 50 yards for over 20 years and I am willing to try shooting a muzzle loading pistol at 50 yards when I get my gear together.

How big are the 50 yard targets? What are the dimensions of the 10 Ring and X Ring?

I recently bought a Jukar 45 cal. Kentucky pistol.
Only fired it a couple times so far.
My load as been 25 grains of 3f Swiss and a .440 round ball with a .010 in. Oxyoke spit patch.
Still need to spend more time with it but it seems to shoot pretty well at 25 yards.

Got a Jukar like yours, Deermanct, but in flint. Unfired as yet. Up until now i’ve thought of a pistol as just an accessory to the rifle, but i’m starting to re-think that a bit.

don

Back