• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to achieve this stock finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a Kibler SMR on the way and I'm trying to figure out what finish I'd like to put on it. While looking at Sitting Fox kits (already planning my next build. Need a squirrel getter..haven't even got the first on yet....) I noticed this squirrel gun that I really like the finish of. How would one go about achieving a wood finish like this? Is this just aqua fortis and bone black? Wood seems more red than what I've seen with aqua fortis.

Ripley Squirrel Gun

Ripley-Squirrel-Gun.jpg

If that is maple, it’s not AF, wayyyyyy to red. If it is AF, red stain was added after the fact.
Is it possible that it’s cherry?
If you know who it belongs to.... maybe they could shed some light.
it will also depend what wood your Kibler is made of. This one maple, AF with Chambers Oil finish.
BDD2D044-9442-4C4E-B86A-15E886DA36FA.jpeg

I suggest the application of a light layer of Fiebing's Leather Dye, Mahogany or perhaps Burgundy, followed by thick application of the same color mixed with dark brown. With Fiebing's you apply, wipe off the excess, and allow to dry. In the above case the second coat (or perhaps it was a single coating of a mixture of mahogany and dark brown) was not wiped off but allowed to soak in and dry very dark...,

..., then when dry, boiled linseed oil was applied with 4-0 steel wool, and the reddish parts that you see are where the stock finisher rubbed hard enough to remove enough of the darker pigment to the reddish stuff below. I've seen it done before, though with not as dark a surface layer as above..., in one case the natural wear of the shooter on the forearm and wrist where the shooter's hands contact the rifle lightened, and in another case the effect was done to "antique" the rifle, using the steel wool method which I mentioned.

FIEBINGS RED DYES 2.jpg

LD

Guess I'll have to aquire me some maple sticks and start experimenting.

I notice your logged on ALR as well. You may ask over there as there's a ton of builders nesting over there, and I'm sure they have plenty of small scrap maple laying around. That said, every piece takes stain differently so there is only so much you can learn from testing on scrap as far as color. You can get an idea of differences between this stain and that....

My approach to duplicate that stock finish would be: after heating, over a combined treatment of Aquafortis, then Tannic Acid, a Maple stain such as Laurel Mountains, Lancaster Maple, all rubbed with Oil/Scotch-bright to desired darkness in low areas of the stock. Track of the Wolf’s “Original Oil” would give the rubbed/dull oiled appearance in the photo. IMO

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/392/1/LMF-STAIN-LM
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/393/1/FINISH-ORG

If that is maple, it’s not AF, wayyyyyy to red. If it is AF, red stain was added after the fact.
Is it possible that it’s cherry?
If you know who it belongs to.... maybe they could shed some light.
it will also depend what wood your Kibler is made of. This one maple, AF with Chambers Oil finish.
View attachment 41843
This is just AF and acid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-04-10-50-40.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-04-10-50-40.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
Depending on the density of the wood I get that color using roofing tar, some call it coal tar. I cut mine with kerosene for military stocks and Boiled Linseed oil for Muzzle Loaders, some use white gas or mineral spirits. Good article in June 2020 Muzzle Blast on using Roofing Tar. Been using it for more than 30 years.
Ferret Master

Scoper
Exactly, dark brown with amber stripes, not red like the photo. Never seen that kind of red on maple without using a red, or cherry stain.

Builder Said it was Cherry base with walnut second coat. Thanks again for all the help. I learned quite about it about stain and finishing trying to figure it out and following up with everyone's ideas.

I suggest the application of a light layer of Fiebing's Leather Dye, Mahogany or perhaps Burgundy, followed by thick application of the same color mixed with dark brown. With Fiebing's you apply, wipe off the excess, and allow to dry. In the above case the second coat (or perhaps it was a single coating of a mixture of mahogany and dark brown) was not wiped off but allowed to soak in and dry very dark...,

..., then when dry, boiled linseed oil was applied with 4-0 steel wool, and the reddish parts that you see are where the stock finisher rubbed hard enough to remove enough of the darker pigment to the reddish stuff below. I've seen it done before, though with not as dark a surface layer as above..., in one case the natural wear of the shooter on the forearm and wrist where the shooter's hands contact the rifle lightened, and in another case the effect was done to "antique" the rifle, using the steel wool method which I mentioned.

View attachment 41853

LD
Yes LD is dead on, I’ve done many finishes using fieblings leather dye..

Back