• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Three Ball Layers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you ever sit down to make stacked buckshot loads for your smooth bore and puzzle over what diameter of round ball to use?
That was something I started to do a long time ago and got sidetracked by life's little distractions. Well, I sat down to figger it out. What I came up with was (from the bore diameter) subtract the windage wanted for reloads in a dirty barrel, subtract the thickness of the lube dip, subtract the thickness of the paper wrapper. Multiply the resulting number times 0.536 to get the diameter of round ball that will nestle together for layers with three balls per layer.
Looks like a nine load of .35 ball will work in the 1816 musket with a double wrap of copier paper.

The only thing close to this that I've read about is buck and ball loads. The charges in the military ammo were based upon 110 grains down the barrel. With the weight of lead used there perhaps a useful extrapolation can be made. What was that, maybe a .66 ball and three .30's?
On the other hand shotgun data is probably available somewhere.

The .35 balls will work but you gots to be reeeeal careful not to wrinkle up the paper and lose your windage.
.33 diameter will be better for making up preloads. I should whittle and sand smooth a stick for forming the tubes.

The only thing close to this that I've read about is buck and ball loads. The charges in the military ammo were based upon 110 grains down the barrel. With the weight of lead used there perhaps a useful extrapolation can be made. What was that, maybe a .66 ball and three .30's?
On the other hand shotgun data is probably available somewhere.
U have definitely got my attention! I want to develop a buck-n-ball load for my new Pedersoli 12 gauge magnum. The improved barrel measures .729 with the end measuring .727. For a patched round ball, I'm thinking a .715 ball with either a .01 or .015 lubed patch. I have a small supply of 00 buck (.330) and a .319 mold. I'm not sure of the thickness or where to get the paper for the cartridges. I have a supply of 3 inch BPI plastic wads that I could use, but I would probably have to use a .69 cal ball and I rather not use them and stay traditional. I am great at math, but confused on how much to subtract for the paper. I'm not gonna subtract any for fouling because I will be loading in a clean bore each time but need to subtract for dipped lube.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and good luck in your quest!
I could load a .715 ball and either a .10 or .015 patch then 3, 6, or 9 .330 or .319 balls or buckshot on top with a over-shot card in my Pedersoli .727 improved choke barrel with .729 barrel??

Last edited:
In my .75 I just tip them in. 12x.375" on 3f. Patterned good.
I could load a .715 ball and either a .10 or .015 patch then 3, 6, or 9 .330 buckshot on top with a over-shot card in my Pedersoli .727 improved choke barrel with .729 barrel??

I think I read somewhere that if the Ball is behind the buck it blows a huge hole in the pattern
you absolutely right, I just read the same thing. The guy explained that is why it is named buck-then-ball.

Back