• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trap Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fez

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on a black powder trap gun. Can anyone give me some advice on what most trap shooters are using? I am only interested in single barrel guns, either flintlock or percussion. I am an avid trap shooter and have recently got into muzzle loading and have limited knowledge on what guns black powder shooters are using for trap. Thanks for any help or advice.

I am looking for advice on a black powder trap gun. Can anyone give me some advice on what most trap shooters are using? I am only interested in single barrel guns, either flintlock or percussion. I am an avid trap shooter and have recently got into muzzle loading and have limited knowledge on what guns black powder shooters are using for trap. Thanks for any help or advice.
Any .62 caliber (20 gage) or above smoothbore will do the trick. A .75 caliber (12 gage) Brown Bess flintlock might be just what you're looking for. In percussion you might be able to find an Armisport 1842 Springfield smoothbore around. Regimental Quartermaster has them for just over $1200.
Dixie Gun Works has a NW Trade Gun and Brown Besses for sale but I don't know off hand what their Brown Bess calibers are.

Last edited:
Trap shooting is the descended from live pigeon shooting and if you want to stick to tradition they were built in percussion and other ignitions but not flintlock . Live pigeon shooting began in the early percussion period and made in bore sizes from 12to 4 these guns were special built and regulated and are still the best for trap or DTL shooting.
Feltwad
100_1200.JPG
100_1205.JPG
P1010004.JPG

Last edited:
Since you are an experienced trap shooter you will already know about what is needed for the drop on the stock. Needs to shoot one foot high.

BP trap is shot at 8, 12, 16 and 20 yards

When I was shooting trap I was using a T/C New Englander with the interchangeable chokes. It shot 1 foot high and 1 foot to the right, I had T/C bend the barrel. It shot fine after that.

Look at Dixie, they have the largest selection of shotguns available and it's a good place to comparative shop.

Also look at Pedersoli, they offer numerous shotguns, most are double barrels. The Mortimer might be what you are looking for. If I was looking for a production shotgun, that would be it. There might be a wait time to get one.

You will want a minimum of a 12 gauge in percussion. Stay away from flintlock. There are rules which limit the number of attempts you have to get the gun to fire when a bird is pulled.

Most serious black powder trap shooters are using custom guns which are composed of black powder barrels with modern actions..

Maybe the repros with their screw in chokes are the only type you can get but they are not traditional and no where has good has the original which are regulated to shoot trap which originally was live pigeon trap shooting
Feltwad

No, screw in chokes are not traditional, but on the trap range traditional guns are not always followed.

They are not the only type of shotgun that can be had.

My Pedersoli double barrel 10 gauge has screw in chokes and chrome lined barrels and it break birds, both live and fake.

"no where has good has the original which are regulated to shoot trap which originally was live pigeon trap shooting"

Not really sure that is an accurate statement.

Last edited:
No, screw in chokes are not traditional, but on the trap range traditional guns are not really followed.

They are not the only type of shotgun that can be had.

My Pedersoli double barrel 10 gauge has screw in chokes and chrome lined barrels and it break birds, both live and fake.

"no where has good has the original which are regulated to shoot trap which originally was live pigeon trap shooting"

Not really sure that is an accurate statement.
Maybe trap shooting in the States is different to the UK, with same principle has the image enclosed above.
Feltwad

I cannot see why to shoot trap it has to be a badly designed repro with screw in chokes when a standard repro sxs would do the job .. I have shot trap for many decades and for me it is original pigeon gun with are designed and regulated for the job there is nothing better.. Well I have said my views so I am out of here repros traditional never.
Feltwad

The shotguns I bought serve 2 purposes, shooting trap and hunting.

From reading, you have better access to original shotguns than here.

Whatever you decide on it would be best if you could get the feel of it before you buy it. Being a trap shooter myself fit is everything. Regulating a barrel is the next thing I look at - 60/40% or 70/30% depending on your reactions and style of shooting at rising targets.

Trap shooting is the descended from live pigeon shooting and if you want to stick to tradition they were built in percussion and other ignitions but not flintlock . Live pigeon shooting began in the early percussion period and made in bore sizes from 12to 4 these guns were special built and regulated and are still the best for trap or DTL shooting.
Feltwad
View attachment 41652View attachment 41653View attachment 41654
Beautiful firearms Feltwad. That is what I am most interested in finding, an original like those in your pics but I would be interested in a period correct repro as a back up or practice gun.

About the only thing I can think of that would be a single barrel gun and that wouldn't be a totally custom made trap gun would be one of the TVM Fowlers or perhaps a Indian trade gun like this:

1599069541987.png

Both of these have fairly light weight smoothbore barrels, usually a 20 guage for the trade gun.

IMO, the idea of using a Brown Bess for trap shooting rates right up there with using a base ball bat in a fencing contest. While the Bess is a fine military gun, it's too heavy and awkward to be used for trap shooting.

About the only thing I can think of that would be a single barrel gun and that wouldn't be a totally custom made trap gun would be one of the TVM Fowlers or perhaps a Indian trade gun like this:

View attachment 41729
Both of these have fairly light weight smoothbore barrels, usually a 20 guage for the trade gun.

IMO, the idea of using a Brown Bess for trap shooting rates right up there with using a base ball bat in a fencing contest. While the Bess is a fine military gun, it's too heavy and awkward to be used for trap shooting.
I mentioned the Bess because of the larger bore, having never used one I have no idea how heavy they are. Besides I knew more people would show up with a lot more knowledge on this subject matter than myself.

First off, thank you to all who have given advice, I am taking it all in.

Maybe I need to be more specific. I am looking to eventually compete in traditional gun trap shooting. I am not interested in any of the modern guns with chokes, my interest lies in original or period correct repro's that are allowed in Lorenzoni and/or Manton class of trap shooting.

By the way, I am loving this forum...thanks

Send an e-mail to the NMLRA and ask them for the contact person in charge of the trap range. He would be a good source for information or could point you in the right direction..

Take a look at the original percussion trap guns that were used in the UK .First that is noticed is they are half stocked and no ramrod , most have horn for end of which some are fitted with a bulbous and tulip end for a good grip plus the odd ones are fitted with a pistol grip to the for end {see image} all are bore sizes of which the smallest is 12 rising to 4 bore. Reading what has been said in this thread it seems that a trap gun in the States is more like a UK sporting gun that comes in all bore sizes less than a 12 , full stocked with a ramrod.
Feltwad
P1010002.JPG
P1010026.JPG

Last edited:
"some are fitted with a bulbous and tulip end for a good grip plus the odd ones are fitted with a pistol grip to the for end"

That is an interesting forearm, I have never seen anything like that before. I can see where that makes a lot of sense. It would help with not canting a shotgun.

I shot trap for awhile and gravitated to the pistols, that is my real interest. Trap has more spectator appeal, at least you can see how a person is doing. Watching pistols is boring.

If I described some of the trap guns at Friendship I would get in trouble for doing so here, they are kinda modern.

Send an e-mail to the NMLRA and ask them for the contact person in charge of the trap range. He would be a good source for information or could point you in the right direction..
DUH!!! funny how someone else can see the easiest and most obvious route....Thanks FishDFly

"some are fitted with a bulbous and tulip end for a good grip plus the odd ones are fitted with a pistol grip to the for end"

That is an interesting forearm, I have never seen anything like that before. I can see where that makes a lot of sense. It would help with not canting a shotgun.

I shot trap for awhile and gravitated to the pistols, that is my real interest. Trap has more spectator appeal, at least you can see how a person is doing. Watching pistols is boring.

If I described some of the trap guns at Friendship I would get in trouble for doing so here, they are kinda modern.
Yes it is an interesting pigeon gun another feature is it a tube lock built at the later end of the percussion period 1845-50
Feltwad

Back