• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different lubes different results.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC03043.JPG
DSC03160.JPG
DSC03041.JPG
The top are a .50 36 inch green mnt barrel square cut, mutton tallow lube no wipe from the bench peep sight,the last is a round bottom cut getz .50 same load open sight 44 inch barrel .490 ball

i used to use murphy's oil soap. i quit black powder shooting for several years and am just getting back into it. i had forgotten how much fun it was...
now lube i am a cast bullet cartridge shooter lube is important and different amounts, types makes a difference. one thing i learned right away was too much lube was worse than to little. one lube groove half full was usually better than filling all of them full. i have shot thousands of rounds and playing around with lubes and the amount applied was worth the time spent.
The factor you use for lube groove conicals is a completely different dynamic than round ball.
Since the patch is lubed and the projectile is not the lube and the use of that lube changes dramatically.
In the case of a revolver where the ball is not patched a dab of lube can be used on top of the ball to not only lube the ball and bore but to seal the chamber to prevent chain fires, so an even different lube is indicated.

I see in your notes you are using a shooting sled with your muzzleloader.
PLEASE be very judicial in that use. It creates an excessive amount of stress on the wrist of the rifle and has been known on multiple occasions to cause a split in the wood. A muzzleloader needs the recoil movement to help dissipate the recoil energy.
A much better way is to use a tall front shooting bag and if needed - a short rear support bag.

I use mink oil for hunting and find it excellent. By shooting rather tight prb I still shoot many times and almost NEVER have to swab the bore until I head home. Hoppes BP Lube is used for everything else, and like mink oil, it allows all day shooting. I did smooth the barrel crowns and that's a major difference.

Mink oil for me is the best I messed with a bunch of stuff and it works but there again mink oil works in all weather dosnt get thick and hard like other lubes

mulebrain, your friend that shot the target, is he in SC? I am in the low country of SC and there ain't many of us BP burners down here. I am curious to know it looks like the target is marked SC,,,,,,,,,,,,
He is in South Carolina, in Anderson to be exact. That was shot at Po Boys Muzzleloading, and he doesn't shoot that club any longer. I am in Charleston area, and we have a club here

I have a Rifle Shoppe Harpers ferry I shoot in matches. I just got it a few months ago from a seller here. For 20 years I’ve always used the Dutch Dry lube method and wipe between shots. The Harpers Ferry didn’t disappoint as I’ve won several matches using 80gr 2F Goex, .018 7/1 balistol/water dry patches. When developing this accurate load I had to knock the rear sight to the left a good bit. With hunting season approaching I wanted to test the POI using 100gr of 2F, .018 patches and mink oil lube for easy follow up shots without wiping. Odd thing is that this load shoots more accurate than the dry patch and wiping between shots and I had to knock the sight back exactly dead center. I then dropped the load back down to 80gr and continued with the mink oil and no wiping. Continued to shoot one hole groups at 25 yards. Not sure why the mink oil patches moved the poi back 2 inches to the right compared to the dry patches. I fired about 20 rounds without wiping and never a problem loading. I’ve never had this happen with any of my other rifles that I’ve tried mink oil vs Dutch’s system. I’ve had POI change up and down but never left to right. I’m thinking the radius grooves colerain barrel likes the greasy patches to fill the groves better than my square groove green mountain and Pedersoli barrels. Thoughts?
I use an adaptation of Dutch's Dry Patch: 5 parts denatured alcohol + 1 -art castor oil. Soak patches & spread out to dry. I'd used an ancient family recipe of beeswax & tallow for patches for over 40 years, but this Dry formula works MUCH better and produces hardly any fouling. It's now my go-to for all PRB patches.

He is in South Carolina, in Anderson to be exact. That was shot at Po Boys Muzzleloading, and he doesn't shoot that club any longer. I am in Charleston area, and we have a club here
wow, I didn't know that. I am near Cottageville on the Edisto river a few miles away from you. can you give me some info on yall's club?

I will be the gadfly here. IME, the type and brand of lube doesn't seem to make much difference. I have tried many over the years and don't remember any accuracy or fouling issues with most of them. I have one persnickety rifle that demands bear grease and wiping after every shot, but the rest of them seem to be indifferent to the lube. My favorites are bear grease and Wonderlube. I have made many concoctions, but they just don't seem to have much effect on 50y offhand shooting. The grouping issues are much more shooter caused than lube caused.

I'm wondering on patch lube ... I tried mink from TOW that showed promise. I put it on one side of the strip only. Should I put it on both sides and let dry ?
When the rifle gets back to me I also want to try Dutch's method. I believe he suggests dipping the strip in a ballistol mix and removing the excess, so to say.
Then let dry on a flat surface.

I'm wondering on patch lube ... I tried mink from TOW that showed promise. I put it on one side of the strip only. Should I put it on both sides and let dry ?
When the rifle gets back to me I also want to try Dutch's method. I believe he suggests dipping the strip in a ballistol mix and removing the excess, so to say.
Then let dry on a flat surface.
Just on the side facing the bore. I’ve had great luck using Dutch’s system. I started this thread and haven’t commented further because I had to order some more mink oil for testing. The mink oil won’t dry.

50 Yards Off Hand

Dawn soap diluted with water, not my target but my friends, who has been at this for over 50 years

View attachment 41353
That is totally impressive. A modern gun will not shoot better than that! And all my club members use the same lube!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back